Highway Maintenance Specialist, Winter Seasonal - Eagle County
Company: State of Colorado
Posted on: January 26, 2023
Applications will be considered from residents and non-residents of
This announcement is posted until the position is filled.
Applications will be considered as they are received. It's in your
best interest to apply early.
This position is covered by the Partnership Agreement between the
State of Colorado and Colorado Workers for Innovative and New
Are you a Roadway or Construction Trades Worker who has a
Commercial Driver's License Class A or B that allows operation in
Colorado? If you are passionate about safety, travel, and hands-on
repair and improvements, then consider turning your passions into a
career as a Highway Maintenance Specialist. CDOT has a vacancy for
a permanent Seasonal Winter Highway Maintenance Specialist in
mulitiple locations in Eagle County. This includes:
This is a seasonal winter permanent position. This position works
full-time typically from October through May each year and does not
work June through September each year.
The starting salary for this position is $19.31/hour. Upon
successful completion of the probationary period, you may be
eligible for an increase in salary of up to 10%. This location is
also eligible for an additional $2000/month housing stipend during
months worked. This position will be eligible for a snow bonus in
the winter months.
Do you want to make a difference in Coloradans' lives? Do you have
a passion for helping people and keeping them safe? At the Colorado
Department of Transportation (CDOT), you'll have the opportunity to
do just that. The work our people do contributes to keeping
Coloradans and visitors safe and provides freedom, connection, and
experience through travel. Please visit our careers page to learn
about CDOT and how we are making Colorado a great place to live,
work and play, now and for the future! Also, check out our
excellent benefits package!
CDOT for All
CDOT's strength is our people, and our commitment to our people is
to shape, support, and sustain the employee experience and
ultimately create a supportive workplace where everyone, regardless
of gender, race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sexual
orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, education,
disability, socioeconomic status, or any other identity, has the
opportunity to thrive.
Some positions may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Program. For more information, go to
The eligible list created from this announcement may be used to
fill one or more positions.
#LI-POST Description of Job
What You Will Do
No two days are exactly the same in CDOT highway maintenance. Your
daily work activities change based on project needs and also vary
based on weather, environment, and road conditions. You will be
on-call on a rotating basis as well as subject to call to respond
to weather and other emergencies. You will typically work in a team
environment, as each maintenance patrol location has at least one
lead highway maintenance specialist and multiple highway
maintenance specialists. Your main job activities include:
* Plowing snow
* Operating heavy equipment, such as tandem dump truck, loader,
tractor mower, etc.
* Mowing grass and weeds
* Removing debris from roadways, including rock, mud, and deceased
* Removing debris from culverts, tunnels, etc.
* Shoveling gravel, sand, concrete, and asphalt
* Digging ditches
* Installing and repairing guardrail, highway markers and signs,
warning signs, and lighting
* Filling potholes and roadway cracks
* Setting out signs and cones for traffic control
* Removing and covering graffiti
* Installing pavement markings/striping
* Stopping or slowing traffic in emergency situations
* Maintaining equipment and performing minor repairs
* Following safety guidance and wearing proper safety equipment
What Impact You Will Have
Your work is critical to keeping Colorado's roadways open and safe.
Your work also positively impacts quality of life for all
Coloradans and visitors and helps our economy to thrive.
What CDOT Provides
* Personal protective equipment, such as uniforms, boots, hard
hats, gloves, safety vest, respirator, and tools
* Full payment for your CDL physical, after your first year with
* Partial reimbursement (up to 50%) for your CDL renewal, after
your first year with CDOT
* CPR and first-aid training
* Variety of career training opportunities
* 40-hour work weeks, with opportunity for overtime during weather
* 4-day work schedule (10-hour days Monday-Thursday) during the
summer months, typically May through September
* Opportunities to learn new equipment
* Opportunities for advancement
Your Work Environment
* Exposure to loud noise
* Exposure to fumes, odors, gasses, dusts, etc. that may affect
breathing, eyes, and skin
* Required to use appropriate personal protective equipment
* Required to work with chemicals and cleaning products
* Some equipment requires the use of respirators
* Work near traffic, sometimes high-speed traffic
* Use ladders and scissor lifts for heights of approximately
* Required to drive CDOT vehicles
* Frequently respond to emergencies outside regular work hours and
may work overtime including weekends and holidays
* Must be willing and be physically able to work in extreme
temperatures (hot and cold), variable weather conditions, and at
varying elevations up to 12,000 feet for long periods of time
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment &
Must have at least two (2) years of physical labor and/or heavy
equipment operation experience.
* Has a strong commitment to working safely
* Has a desire to learn
* Wants to work outdoors
* Likes physically demanding work
* Takes pride in a job well done
* Adapts efficiently to changing conditions and priorities
* Works effectively in a team environment and looks out for team
* Communicates effectively, especially in safety-critical
* Has a strong commitment to providing good customer service
* Likes to solve problems and figure out better ways to do
* Has experience operating equipment, such as single and tandem
axle dump trucks, front end loaders, bulldozers, backhoes, etc.
* Has experience using hand tools
* Has basic computer skills and can learn new
* Years of State service experience related to the duties of this
Conditions of Employment
* Must possess and maintain a valid Commercial Driver's License
Class A or B with no restriction on air brakes that allows
operation within Colorado.
* If you have a non-Colorado Commercial Driver's License, you must
be eligible to drive in Colorado with your CDL at time of hire. If
you currently live outside of Colorado and relocate to reside in
Colorado, you must transfer your CDL to Colorado within 30 days of
* Must pass a pre-employment screening which may include social
security number trace, criminal records check, public court records
check, educational records, and driving records checks. More
information in the supplemental information section.
* May be required to pass a controlled substance test (i.e., drug
test), and DOT physical through our medical provider.
* On-call work (rotating basis as well as subject to call)
* Shift work
* Essential Services Designation - Required to report without delay
or interruption to provide essential or emergency services to
ensure health, safety, and welfare.
* May be required to live within thirty (30) minutes' driving time
in normal weather conditions to be able to respond in a timely
manner after being notified to report to work. Knowledge of an
emergency or hazardous condition may be considered to be
notification to report to workstation.
* New employees are required to take two weeks of maintenance
training, while veteran CDOT employees are required to take one
week of training each year. This training is completed via computer
or in our Aurora location.
* May be required to obtain a Hazardous Materials endorsement
within 6 months to 1 year as a condition of appointment.
* Must be willing to respond to emergencies outside regular work
hours and work overtime including weekends and holidays.
* Must provide the supervisor with a telephone number where you can
be reached for the purposes of responding to an emergency.
Complete Applications must include the following documents:
* A complete CDOT Application for Announced Vacancy (please submit
online using the green 'APPLY' button at the top of this
* A complete Supplemental Questionnaire (The questionnaire is part
of the online application. You will be prompted to answer them as
you are completing your online application.)
* If you are a veteran, a copy of your DD214. Please submit this as
an attachment to your online application.
Only complete applications submitted by the closing date for this
announcement will be given consideration. Resumes will not be
accepted in lieu of a completed application. Failure to submit
properly completed documents by the closing date of this
announcement may result in your application being rejected.
All correspondence regarding your status in the
selection/examination process will be sent via email. Include your
current working email address on your application and check your
email frequently as you could receive time sensitive correspondence
regarding this position. We highly recommend that you set up your
email to accept messages from "state.co.us" and
"firstname.lastname@example.org" addresses. It is your responsibility to
ensure that your email will accept these notices and/or review your
junk mail and spam filtered email. Immediately after you submit
your application you should receive an email that confirms that you
successfully applied for this position. If you do not, try
submitting again until you receive the confirmation email. Be sure
to also check your junk folder for email communications from the
State of Colorado's job opportunities website.
The Hiring Process
* All applications that are received by the closing of this
announcement will be reviewed against the minimum qualifications in
this announcement. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications
proceed to the next step.
* Colorado Revised Statutes require that state employees are hired
and promoted based on merit and fitness through a comparative
* Part or all of the comparative analysis for this position may be
a structured application review, which involves a review of the
information you submit in your application materials by Subject
Matter Experts (SMEs) against the preferred qualifications.
* Be sure your application materials specifically address your
qualifications, experience, work products, and accomplishments as
they relate to the Major Duties, Minimum Qualifications, and
Preferred Qualifications sections as listed above. Failure to
include adequate information or follow instructions by the deadline
for application may result in your application not being accepted
for this position and may affect your inclusion as a qualified
candidate in any step of the selection process, including placement
on the eligible list.
* A top group, up to six candidates, will be invited to schedule an
interview with the hiring manager.
If an applicant reaches the final stage of the hiring process, the
Colorado Department of Transportation may procure a consumer report
and/or investigative consumer report on the applicant in connection
with his/her application for employment purposes, as defined under
the Fair Credit Reporting Act. These reports may be obtained at any
time after receipt of the applicant's authorization. As part of the
employment screening, an applicant will be requested to disclose
any deferred judgments and convictions as well an explanation of
the circumstances around any arrest or conviction. In the event
that a screening returns information that the applicant believes is
not accurate, he or she will have an opportunity to dispute the
information with "Info Cubic".
Info Cubic, a consumer reporting agency, will obtain the report for
CDOT. Further information regarding Info Cubic, LLC, including its
Cubic is located at 116 Inverness Drive East, Suite 206, Englewood,
CO 80112, and can be reached at 877.360.4636.
The report may contain information bearing on the applicant's
character, general reputation, personal characteristics, and mode
of living. The information that may be included in the report
includes social security number trace, criminal records check,
public court records checks, educational records, and driving
records checks. CDOT will only request credit reports insofar as
they relate to the position for which the applicant is applying.
The information contained in the report will be obtained from
private and/or public record sources. The applicant will have the
right, upon written request made within a reasonable time after
receipt of a notice, to request disclosure of the nature and scope
of any investigative consumer report.
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from
consideration for this position, you may file an appeal with the
State Personnel Board or request a review by the State Personnel
Director. An appeal or review must be submitted on the official
appeal form, signed by you or your representative. This form must
be delivered to the State Personnel Board by email, US Mail, faxed
or hand delivered within ten (10) calendar days from your receipt
of notice or acknowledgement of the department's action. For more
information about the appeals process, the official appeal form,
and how to deliver it to the State Personnel Board go to
spb.colorado.gov or refer to 4 Colorado Code of Regulations (CCR)
801-1, State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's
Administrative Procedures, Chapter 8, Resolution of Appeals and
Disputes, at spb.colorado.gov under Rules.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
The State of Colorado believes that equity, diversity, and
inclusion drive our success, and we encourage candidates from all
identities, backgrounds, and abilities to apply. The State of
Colorado is an equal opportunity employer committed to building
inclusive, innovative work environments with employees who reflect
our communities and enthusiastically serve them. Therefore, in all
aspects of the employment process, we provide employment
opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, pregnancy, medical condition related to
pregnancy, creed, ancestry, national origin, marital status,
genetic information, or military status (with preference given to
military veterans), or any other protected status in accordance
with applicable law.
Discrimination and/or harassment against any person is prohibited
because of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation,
religion, age, national origin, ancestry, political affiliation,
veteran's status, marital status, gender identity or any other
protected class recognized under the Colorado Anti-Discrimination
Act (CADA). This applies to all employment decisions.
CDOT is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified
individuals. As part of this commitment, our agency will assist
individuals who have a disability with any reasonable accommodation
requests related to employment, including completing the
application process, interviewing, completing any pre-employment
testing, participating in the employee selection process, and/or to
perform essential job functions where the requested accommodation
does not impose an undue hardship. If you have a disability and
require reasonable accommodation to ensure you have a positive
experience applying or interviewing for this position, please
direct your inquiries to Eleshia Carpenter at
Former State Employees
* If you believe that you are eligible to be considered as a
transfer, non-disciplinary demotion, or reinstatement to this
vacancy, you must submit a completed application following the
directions in this job announcement and you will be included in the
selection process along with other qualified applicants. If you are
the finalist for this position after the selection process, Human
Resources will confirm your eligibility to be appointed as a
transfer, non-disciplinary demotion, or reinstatement
* Former employees of the Colorado Department of Transportation
System or any other State of Colorado Department or Agency, who
were disciplinarily terminated or resigned in lieu of termination,
must disclose this information on his/her application.
EC(SAP #50000558/PCR #48304 and #50135856/PCR #48303)
Keywords: State of Colorado, Denver , Highway Maintenance Specialist, Winter Seasonal - Eagle County, Professions , Denver, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!