CHIEF ESTIMATOR - FEDERAL GROUP
Company: Granite Construction
Posted on: February 25, 2021
This position is responsible for developing and indentifying bid
opportunities in the Federal market area and managing an estimating
and proposal team to ensure quality proposal and estimates on
projects from $5M up to $350 million that support company
Essential Job Accountabilities
- Review estimates and lead bid reviews with senior management to
ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Lead Risk and Margin discussions for each pursuit with senior
management with project executive's involvement.
- Manage proposal and business development team
- Conduct means and methods discussion with estimating and
- 5. Develop and maintain business relationships to increase bid
opportunities in the local market.
- Manage and administer estimating department functions including
operating budgets, staffing, wage reviews, work assignments,
performance evaluations to ensure corporate initiatives are
- Provide technical expertise in negotiating contracts and change
orders as required, to make certain project objectives are
- Provide input to determine what types of projects to bid,
pursue strategies, techniques, to ensure competitive pricing.
- Ensure pertinent information including material types and
costs, construction methods and historical costs are tracked,
archived, updated and used by other estimators to allow realistic
and accurate estimates.
- Develop bid strategies and estimating best practices for
securing core business work and exploring new opportunities for the
- Supervise, direct, and mentor estimating staff to ensure
individual development and Granite standards are met.
- Analyze alternative solutions and construction methods to
increase competitiveness of the bid.
- Lead estimate handoffs upon successful award of a project.
(Estimate team to Execution team)
- Develop bid to budget upon successful award of a project.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction
Management, related field or equivalent combinations of technical
training and/or related experience. Work Experience
- 10+ years of Estimating experience
- 5+ years management experience required
- Experience in construction and estimating of earthwork,
concrete, utility, paving, dams, flood channels, structures, and
- Experience with reviewing or estimating projects ranging is
size from $5M to $350M
- Experience with Joint Venture estimating and reviews
- Knowledge of production and historical data
- Experience with estimating work within the Continental US and
- Experience with Federal Heavy Civil Construction is a plus
- Understanding with the FARs is a plus Knowledge, skills, and
- Proficiency with all MS Office products (Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, etc.), Bluebeam, HCSS Heavybid, AGTEK and Primavera
- Thorough knowledge of corporate objectives impacting
estimating, market strategies and techniques, and contracts.
- Excellent organizational, supervisory, and decision
making/problem solving skills essential.
- Strong written and oral communication skills to effectively
- Ability to review estimates and ensure proper contingency is
assess during review. Physical Demands The physical demands
described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is
required to stand, walk, sit and use hands to operate a computer
keyboard. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands
and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50
pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions. Subject to outside working
conditions. At times will be working around large construction
equipment, must be safety conscience. Additional
- Comply, understand, and support corporate safety initiatives to
ensure a safe work environment.
- Ability to travel minimally 25% of the time.
- Team player
- Ability and willingness to abide by Granite's Code of Conduct
on a daily basis
- Valid driver's license and ability to drive
Keywords: Granite Construction, Denver , CHIEF ESTIMATOR - FEDERAL GROUP, Professions , Denver, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!