Electrical Systems Engineer Senior (Avionics HW)
Company: Sierra Nevada
Posted on: June 15, 2019
SNC is currently seeking exceptional candidates who wish to be a
part of the commercial space revolution. Our fun, fast-paced and
collaborative team designs, builds, and flies the Dream Chaser
Cargo System, an ambitious flagship program to create our Nation's
only commercially reusable space plane. With your help, we will
conduct many safe and successful missions over the next decade to
deliver critical cargo to and from the International Space Station.
These flights for NASA will enable us to build an unprecedented
commercial space transportation network around the Dream Chaser,
which provides affordable, cutting-edge orbital capability and
return to Earth services onto runways around the globe. The future
of space transportation is now.SUMMARY:The Electrical Systems
Engineer is responsible for supporting the electrical system design
for the Dream Chaser vehicle. Tasks include specification,
development, procurement, integration and testing of avionics
hardware. This role requires the ability to focus on details such
as interface requirements, hardware definition, and channelization
of electrical sensors and subsystem hardware as well as understand
the bigger picture of how avionics fits in to the larger vehicle
designIn this role, you will report to the Avionics, Software and
Comm (AS&C) Hardware design lead. AS&C is responsible for
the Dream Chaser spacecraft with respect to avionics and
communications subsystems. The avionics consists of both Command &
Data Handling (C&DH) hardware and Guidance, Navigation &
Control (GN&C) sensors/effectors for both orbit and atmospheric
flight. AS&C also owns the flight instrumentation system for
the vehicle.As a member of AS&C you will be challenged with all
facets of the electrical systems. Our detailed system engineering
tasks include authoring of component specifications, performance
analysis, and hardware integration and testing.An ideal candidate
would have experience with high performance aircraft, launch
vehicle or spacecraft avionics. Highlight your background in any of
- GN&C hardware systems (on orbit, RPO or EDL/atmospheric
- Avionics design (such as C&DH systems)
- Flight instrumentationFor this job grade, experience can also
take the form of new development, modifications, integration,
verification or testing of sensors, or system integration in a
custom or COTS environment. Please indicate your experience in
these areas as well as HW/SW interaction, verification or
validation efforts.The ability to interpret high level vehicle
requirements and derive component level specifications and
verification tasks is required. A working knowledge of digital data
bus architectures (MIL-STD-1553B, Ethernet, SpaceWire, RS-422 /
RS-485, SPI, I2C) is a critical skill. Design and integration
experience with complex electro-mechanical systems or
instrumentation could qualify. Previous experience with technical
subcontract management is a bonus.Responsibilities:
- Support refinement of avionics architecture and specifications
-- decomposing requirements, developing component specifications
and developing hazard controls
- Support procurement by identifying vendors and maintaining
impeccable vendor relationships throughout life cycle
- Support subsystem checkout during the engineering phase by
authoring test plans and procedures for verifying operation of
subsystem and components
- Support the vehicle build and test as a subsystem expert
- Support technical meetings and reviews
- Author test plans and procedures for verifying operation of
subsystem and components during Integration and Test.
- Coordinate of engineering schedules and milestones.
- Define, develop, and evaluate operational requirements.
- Perform requirements analysis and trade studies.
- Identify technical problems and recommend solutions.
- Perform risk analyses and assessments.
- Support anomaly resolutions; review of operational procedures
and analyze data.
- Perform verification/validation task during vehicle
testingADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Follow SNC policies, procedures and work instructions for all
- Punctuality to work each day and prepared to work scheduled
- Other duties as assignedCOMPLIANCE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for thoughtful adherence to all SNC Policies,
Procedures, and Compliance regulations (internal and external)
- Responsible for timely execution of all personnel-related
activities such as Time Sheet completion, Performance Evaluations,
Salary Reviews, Succession Planning, etc.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Minimum physical requirements to perform all duties and
responsibilities, as defined by management
- SNC job descriptions are meant as summarizations only. They do
not necessarily reflect all duties and responsibilities of a
positionSKILLS EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- 10+ years of related experience
- BS in related field
- Experience with hardware system design or integration of
hardware and software is required.
- Background in Digital/Analog Board design or FPGA design will
receive additional consideration.
- Experience with C&DH or GNC hardware or instrumentation is
- Working knowledge of digital data bus architectures is
important. Examples include MIL-STD-1553B, RS-422 / RS-485, SPI,
I2C, Ethernet, SpaceWire, etc .
- Experience with testing, verification and validation is
- Experience performing HW/SW integration and testing is
- Experience with flight test instrumentation (FTI) or spacecraft
instrumentation is applicable.
- Experience with data acquisition and recording systems is a
- Direct hands-on systems development experience desirable.
- Excellent communication skills required
- Ability to rapidly work with minimal supervision on projects
involving both small and large engineering teams
- Previous experience and skills in project definition, design,
simulation, implementation, lab integration and test
- Must be able to work in a highly collaborative, fast paced
environment with emphasizes in rapid prototyping and fielding of
- Instinct and desire to take ownership of tasks, decisions, and
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant
must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S.,
protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or
eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S.
Department of State.Sierra Nevada Corporation is an Equal
Opportunity Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran, or
any other protected statuspursuant to applicable local, state or
federal law, ordinance or regulation.
Keywords: Sierra Nevada, Denver , Electrical Systems Engineer Senior (Avionics HW), Other , Louisville, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!