Winter Supervisor- McMurdo
Company: Gana-A'Yoo, Limited - Antarctic Program
Posted on: May 28, 2023
TITLE: Winter Supervisor
SEASON: Austral Winter
LOCATION: McMurdo Station, Antarctica
SECTOR/DEPT: Gana-A'Yoo Services Corporation (GSC) Antarctica
Currently seeking a Winter Supervisor to oversee Postal,
Janitorial, Recreation, Retail and Rooms Coordination in
conjunction with Management in the Continental United States
(CONUS). Position will report to Lodging Manager and assists the
Station Services Assistant. Duties will include the following and
other duties as assigned and required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts weekly Safety Meetings for all GSC personnel.
- Attends weekly station leadership meetings as able,
communicates with Conus management on relevant topics.
- Completes required FEMA courses and participates in Emergency
Operations for McMurdo Station.
- Tracks physical condition (injuries, aches, pains, sick days)
of non-culinary staff, adjusting tasking for light duty and other
special requirements as needed, completes all required reports and
communicates all injuries and relevant information to CONUS
- Responsible for supervising janitorial staff by ensuring that
the janitorial team conducts their duties safely, efficiently and
with a positive attitude.
- Ensures compliance with Safety, Environment, Health, and Waste
Management policies and procedures.
- Completes required Human Resources Supervisory Training.
- Handles confidential matters (personnel actions, management
reports, etc.) in accordance with management policy.
- Interacts with the National Science Foundation, armed forces,
and other agency officials, both over the telephone and in person,
in a professional and tactful manner.
- Provides direct support, using staff resources if necessary, to
the achievement of all metrics related to ASC.
- Promote and practice relevant health and safety and fire safety
- Complies with all ASC Environmental Health & Safety, and
Quality Assurance, requirements and goals. Provides documentation
to these divisions as necessary to ensure adequate and legal
- Works to achieve ASC goals and contractual commitments
- Responsible for operating the McMurdo Station Post office,
oversees movement, sorting and distribution of mail.
- Assists in ordering and control of postal supplies.
- Performs all COPE procedures as needed.
- Controls, secures, and sells meter postage necessary for
McMurdo Station post office. Keeps stamp inventory.
- Supervises the sorting, receipt and distribution of mail at
McMurdo Station while providing guidance to customers regarding
proper mail preparation and acceptance.
- Manifests and prepares for shipment of all outgoing northbound
and southbound mail.
- Responsible for submitting US postal claims for South Pole and
- Completes all PS3849s and PS3883s for accountable mail.
- Provides guidance to customers regarding proper mail
preparation and acceptance.
- Coordinates with the Christchurch APO for the movement of
parcel and letter mail.
- Coordinates with CONUS management on room assignments at
McMurdo Station, including tracking movements in and out of the
station, updating the community phone list, and providing customer
service to the McMurdo community.
- Works with the Lodging Manager to plan for all incoming
resident placement and outgoing resident room inspections.
- Manages linen and room inspections as needed.
- Updates the dorm phone list as needed after arrivals and room
- Prepares key packets and presents arrival briefs for residents
on incoming flights.
- Provides customer service to community for lodging issues.
- Creates "House Mouse" schedules, monitors cleanliness of dorm
areas and handles on-call lock out duties and late night calls as
- Completes middle and end of season evaluation for the Lead
- Assists with applicable janitorial duties of as required.
- Laundry is a key responsibility of this position. Ensure
laundry is complete in a reasonable timeframe over the Austral
winter. Track laundry operations accurately.
- Reports weekly to the Lodging Manager on janitorial tasks
- Performs laundry tasking as part of overall job
- Places and tracks work orders with facilities maintenance.
- Assists with Retail operations as needed. EXPERIENCE:
- Four years of supervisory experience required.
- Previous experience in military APO operations, restaurant,
beverage, retail, recreation or janitorial experience
- Previous experience with Station Services in Antarctica may be
accepted in lieu of minimum experience. SKILLS:
- Must be detailed-oriented with strong organizational
- Sets the example for the staff with regard to punctuality,
attendance, attitude and hygiene.
- Basic computer skills with word processing, spreadsheets and
databases required. PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- May be required to perform duties requiring repetitive motion.
- BA/BS in Business Administration/Management or other relevant
- Relevant experience accepted in lieu of a degree.
CERTIFICATIONS AND/OR LICENSING REQUIREMENTS:
- Required postal certification
- Current ServSafe Food Handler certification SPECIAL CONDITIONS:
- Must be able to complete annual APO training and required FEMA
- US citizenship or permanent residency required.
Keywords: Gana-A'Yoo, Limited - Antarctic Program, Denver , Winter Supervisor- McMurdo, Other , Denver, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...