CBI Public Information Officer
Company: Colorado Department of Public Safety
Posted on: November 26, 2022
_*An eligible list established with this recruitment may be used
to fill other similar positions within the Colorado Department of
Public Safety in the next 12 months.*_
_*TO APPLY ONLINE VISIT THIS LINK*_
_Our Mission -_ *Engaged employees working together to safeguard
lives and to provide diverse public safety services to local
_Our Vision -_ *Creating safer and more resilient communities
_Our Core Values - _*Unity, Honor, Service*
*Visit* *our website* *to learn more about the work we do to keep
*CDPS is an equal opportunity employer. See our **EEOD Utilization
*ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT*
The Colorado Department of Public Safety (CDPS) consists of five
Divisions: Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI), Colorado State
Patrol (CSP), Division of Criminal Justice (DCJ), Division of Fire
Prevention and Control (DFPC), and the Division of Homeland
Security and Emergency Management (DHSEM). The Executive Director's
Office (EDO) provides administrative and management services to the
operating divisions of the department.
*COLORADO BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION*
The Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) provides law enforcement
services to local, state, and federal law enforcement and
government agencies, including managing statewide criminal justice
information, assisting with criminal investigations on request,
conducting criminal and civil background checks, and operating an
internationally-accredited forensic laboratory system. The units
described below perform these functions:
* Crime Information Management Unit - provides support services and
ensures security regulations are met by users of Colorado criminal
justice information to uphold and enforce the FBI standards, and
operates an information system at an over 99 percent availability
rate for local, state, and federal criminal justice agencies
enabling them to exchange timely, accurate, and complete
* Forensic Services - provides forensic investigative assistance to
law enforcement agencies, including DNA casework, latent print
analysis, firearm and toolmark analysis, drug chemistry analysis,
crime scene evidence processing, serology analysis, trace evidence
analysis, digital analysis, DNA database management, and toxicology
* Office of Professional Standards - develops national
accreditation standards for the CBI, standardizes policies and
training, conducts review and investigates complaints and
allegations of misconduct, and reports on CBI statistics and
* Investigative Services - provides critical investigative
assistance to law enforcement agencies on request for major crimes,
gaming, complex fraud, fugitive sex offenders, cold case homicides,
and missing persons investigations.
* Morpho Biometrics Unit - serves as the state repository for
criminal history information, including fingerprint data.
* Instant Criminal Background Check Unit - serves as the state
point of contact for background checks on firearms purchases and
conducts concealed handgun permit background checks for sheriff's
*WHY JOIN US*
* Our employees are proud of their work and believe their work is
important and valued by the public.
* Our supervisors do a great job managing employees, providing
clear expectations, treating employees with respect and providing
* We value a high work-life balance.
* CDPS is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity of
backgrounds and ideas.
In addition to rewarding meaningful work, we offer a competitive
benefits package that includes:
* Excellent work-life programs, training, and professional
* Retirement benefits including PERA Defined Benefit Plan or PERA
Defined Contribution Plan plus 401K and 457 plans;
* Medical and dental options (for permanent employees and their
* Short and optional long-term disability coverage
* 10 paid holidays per year plus vacation and sick leave.
* Employee Assistance Program (C-SEAP) available in every region of
* Subsidized RTD FlexPass and free parking at most work
* Reduced college tuition (CSU Global, DeVry University, University
of the Rockies)
* Life insurance that includes legal resources and discounts.
_For a complete review of the benefits we offer, please click
*Description of Job*
*ABOUT THE POSITION*
*External Media Relations*
* Designs outreach strategies to publicize CBI achievements, which
may include developing special events or social media
* Determines topics for communication based on information and
direction gathered from CBI leadership.
* Develops public relations strategies that will influence public
opinion about the CBI and to support the Department's mission,
vision, and core values.
* Arrange public appearances, lectures, events, or exhibits for
clients to increase public awareness or to promote goodwill.
* Prepare public communication plans that outline operating
procedures to be used in response to CBI practices and
* Develop and maintain liaisons with municipalities, county
departments, and similar entities to facilitate public
communication plan development and response coordination
* Attends meetings within and outside the Department to develop
* Conducts public appearances to provide information pertaining to
* Coordinates responses to media inquiries that require input from
multiple CBI work units and/or programs.
* Plan and direct development or communication of programs to
maintain favorable public perceptions of the CBI's mission
* Responds to media inquiries addressed to the CBI
* Write news releases or other media communications to educate the
* Prepare or deliver speeches to further public relations
* Attend and represent the CBI at sponsored community and media
* Assist the CORA manager in producing CBI records available for
inspection by the public/media.
* Prepare videos that enhance the CBI brand.
* Oversee the social media function.
* Website development
*Social Media and Strategic Communications*
* Assessing current media climate and developing talking points and
messages proactively in anticipation of "hot topics" using news
media to inform direction as it relates to critical incidents for
local law enforcement or issues directly impacting the Bureau.
* Keeps current on best practices and legal issues around digital
* Proactively leverages social media tools in advance of CBI
* Develop plans or materials to communicate organizational
activities that are beneficial to public safety
* Monitors media coverage and keeps CBI leadership apprised of
* Creates internal strategic communications plans for CBI
initiatives with input from the COS and Director.
* Develops employee outreach events to increase employee engagement
and communication from leadership.
* Maintains CBI internal communications with current content..
* Maintains CBI website.
* Applies best practices in accessibility to all communication
materials created by CBI
* Post and update content on the website and through social media
outlets that promotes CBI programs.
* Utilizes tools to monitor site compliance with accessibility
* Assist the CBI Executive Team in conducting service delivery
surveys to Colorado law enforcement agencies.
*Internal CBI Strategic Communications*
* Confer with the CBI Executive Team to identify trends or key
group interests or concerns or to provide advice on public
* Determining responses to media inquiries, including identifying
key staff and messages with guidance from the CBI Director and
* Works with Division level PIOs to coordinate external
communications as appropriate.
* Assists senior managers with preparation for media events and
news releases, including composing talking points and key
* Proactively creates talking points and key messages in
anticipation of "hot topics" for use in a variety of internal and
* Provides back-up support and assistance to division-level PIOs as
* Designs publications for CBI including, but not limited to, an
annual report, newsletters, backgrounder documents.
* Attends CDPS PIO meetings and provides detailed reports to CBI
COS and leadership as necessary.
* Attends Emergency Services PIO meetings in Colorado, as well as
engages in the PIO Committee within the Association of State
Criminal Investigative Agencies.
* Preparing talking points and speeches for events
* Consult with staff to arrange promotional campaigns in all types
* Creates internal video campaigns in support of the CBI mission,
vision, and core values.
*Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment &
This position is open only to Colorado state residents.
*MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE)*
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in any field and
three years of professional experience in the marketing and
Seven years of professional experience in the marketing and
Advanced degree from an accredited institution in any field and two
years of professional experience in the marketing and communication
*CORE SKILLS REQUIRED*
* Written Expression- The ability to communicate information and
ideas in writing so others will understand.
* Strong project management skills-Understand project management
and the activities which comprise this area. Know the variables
implied in project management such as time, resources,
requirements, deadlines, and responding to unexpected events.
* Communication and Media knowledge-Knowledge of media production,
communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This
includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written,
oral, and visual media.
* Communication-Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate
for the needs of the audience, demonstrating purpose in
* Knowledge of communication industry tools and communications
* Digital tools expertise
* Self motivation and independence-developing one's own ways of
doing things, guiding oneself with little or no supervision, and
depending on oneself to get things done.
* Prior professional communications experience in a law enforcement
*CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT*
* Requires successful completion of a background investigation that
includes a polygraph exam, a fingerprint based criminal history
search, psychological suitability assessment and a drug test.
* Must possess and maintain a valid Colorado Driver's license with
the ability to independently travel.
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from
consideration for the position, you may protest the action by
filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel
Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the
elimination. Also, if you wish to challenge the selection and
comparative analysis process, you may file an appeal with the State
Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the
receipt of notice or knowledge of the action you are challenging.
Refer to Chapters 4 and 8 of the State Personnel Board Rules and
Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures, 4 CCR 801, for more
information about the appeals process. The State Personnel Board
Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures are
available at www.colorado.gov/spb. A standard appeal form is
available at: www.colorado.gov/spb. If you appeal, your appeal must
be submitted in writing on the official appeal form, signed by you
or your representative, and received at the following address
within 10 days of your receipt of notice or knowledge of the
action: Colorado State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director,
Attn: Appeals Processing, 1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver,
CO 80203. Fax: 303-866-5038. Phone: 303-866-3300. The ten-day
deadline and these appeal procedures also apply to all charges of
All correspondence regarding your status in the
selection/examination process will be via email. Include your
current working email address on your application and check your
email frequently as you could receive time sensitive correspondence
regarding this position. We highly recommend that you set up your
email to accept messages from "state.co.us" address. It is your
responsibility to ensure that your email will accept these notices
and/or review your junk mail and spam filtered email.
*PLEASE READ CAREFULLY - RECRUITMENT TIMELINE INFORMATIONEQUITY,
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION*The State of Colorado believes that equity,
diversity, and inclusion drive our success, and we encourage
candidates from all identities, backgrounds, and abilities to
apply. The State of Colorado is an equal opportunity employer
committed to building inclusive, innovative work environments with
employees who reflect our communities and enthusiastically serve
them. Therefore, in all aspects of the employment process, we
provide employment opportunities to all qualified applicants
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy,
medical condition related to pregnancy, creed, ancestry, national
origin, marital status, genetic information, or military status
(with preference given to military veterans), or any other
protected status in accordance with applicable law.Colorado
Department of Public Safety is committed to the full inclusion of
all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, our agency
will assist individuals who have a disability with any reasonable
accommodation requests related to employment, including completing
the application process, interviewing, completing any
pre-employment testing, participating in the employee selection
process, and/or to perform essential job functions where the
requested accommodation does not impose an undue hardship. If you
have a disability and require reasonable accommodation to ensure
you have a positive experience applying or interviewing for this
position, please direct your inquiries to our ADAAA Coordinator,
* Applications are considered complete and accurate at the time of
submission. Therefore, additional information *may not *be
solicited or accepted after your application has been received.
* All applications that are received by the closing of this
announcement will be reviewed against the Minimum Qualifications in
this announcement. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications
may proceed to the next step. Colorado Revised Statutes require
that state employees are hired and promoted based on merit and
fitness through a comparative analysis process.
* Comparative analysis may include application review, a written
sample of work and a panel interview process tentatively scheduled
for *December 14, 15, or 16, 2022 *in Lakewood, CO CBI offices.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $66,444.00 - $96,260.00 per year
* 401(k) matching
* Dental insurance
* Employee assistance program
* Health insurance
* Paid time off
* Parental leave
* Vision insurance
* 10 hour shift
* 8 hour shift
* Monday to Friday
* Bachelor's (Preferred)
* Marketing: 3 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: Colorado Department of Public Safety, Denver , CBI Public Information Officer, Other , Denver, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!