Power Systems Engineering Intern - Summer 2022 (REMOTE)
Company: California ISO
Posted on: June 25, 2022
Company DescriptionThe California ISO is currently taking
general applications for university or graduate students majoring
in Electrical Engineering or related fields for internship
positions in the summer of 2022.There are several groups inside the
organization where you could further develop and utilize your skill
set in this area! The selection process (with more details on the
2022 summer assignments) will begin shortly.The California
Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity
across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80
percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and
well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid
reliably 24/7.As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO
opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to
diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access
to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to
diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.The
California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic
controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers
to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's
planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California
ISO operates independently-managing the electron traffic on a power
grid we do not own-making sure electricity is safely delivered to
utilities and consumers on time and reliably.Job DescriptionOur
purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Your work
as an intern can impact millions of people who depend on
electricity for their everyday lives.
- You will get "real world" experience to begin or further your
career pursuits in the energy industry. This is a paid intern
position for 10 -12 weeks during summer 2022.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that
will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside
our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- Opportunities to interact with the CEO and the Executive team
of the ISO
- Invitations to seminars on the latest energy industry topics
such as renewables, electric cars and micro grids.
- Potential field trips.
- Social activities with other interns such as barbecues and
- You get to work on our "green" LEED certified Folsom,
California campus with some of the brightest people in the
industry.What You Will Be DoingPast Assignments have included work
- Participation in project implementation teams to ensure
successful implementation of key power systems software
- Learn about our new Energy Management System (EMS) software and
- Perform outage studies, application testing, tool development
and modeling updates.
- Create new tools and other automations to support outage
studies and improve efficiencies of processes.
- Use engineering models to identify market impacts and present
reports subject to industry, regulatory, and peer
reviewQualificationsLevel of Education and Discipline
- Currently in an Undergraduate, Master's degree (MS) or PhD
program in Electrical Engineering or related field. Degree program
with a Power systems focus strongly desired.
- Graduating December of 2022 or later.Amount Of Experience
- Previous internships, research or work experience within
electric industry is desired.
- Research and or studies in energy industry highly desired.Type
- Proficient in Microsoft office suite.
- Good presentation, oral and written communication skills highly
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Excellent analytical and problems solving skills required.
Additional Skills And Abilities
- Strong understanding of Power Systems concepts
- Familiarity running power flow studies within PSLF, PSSE,
PowerWorld, or MATLAB desiredAdditional InformationAll your
information will be kept confidential according to EEO
Keywords: California ISO, Denver , Power Systems Engineering Intern - Summer 2022 (REMOTE), Other , Denver, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!