Staff Product Designer, Design Systems (NY or Remote US)
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Pizza is at the heart of our communities. From birthday parties
to gameday potlucks, life's special moments are bettered by the
craftsmanship and tradition found behind local pizzerias' counters.
We're here to make sure these iconic small businesses serve our
communities for generations to come by giving them the digital
tools and services commonly found at big chains. Can you imagine
what a small mom and pop pizza shop could achieve with the
resources of Domino's?
We're looking for the first dedicated designer on our Design
Systems team. As a Staff Product Designer you'll be tasked with
helping establish and grow the team from scratch. We're looking for
someone with experience crafting and building the design language
that guides designers and engineers alike with the ultimate goal of
maintaining quality and consistency across all of our products.
This isn't just about look and feel, you'll be helping create and
implement the long term vision for how we design at Slice.
This is a unique design opportunity that likely only comes along
once in a career-a chance to completely reimagine products and turn
them into world-class experiences at a successful, fast-growing
company with a meaningful mission and an amazing culture. You'll
play a key role in shaping the future of design at Slice and
advancing our mission of helping small, independent businesses
compete with big corporations. Your perspective and ideas will be
highly valued, you'll be empowered to do your best work, and you'll
accelerate your career growth.
We look forward to hearing from you!
What You'll Do
- Define and document the system. You'll design a scalable,
unified, and cohesive set of UX and visual guidelines for all of
Slice's mobile & web products with a focus on long term
- Define vision and strategy. Collaborate closely with
Engineering, Product, and Research to develop and align around an
inspirational long-term vision, define the strategy for achieving
that vision, and build out the Slice Design System
- Frame and prioritize problems. You'll partner closely with your
squad's product manager and engineering lead to break down and
clearly define system needs and align on priority to ensure that
the team is focusing on the work with the greatest impact.
- Facilitate a structured, collaborative, and transparent design
process. You'll guide your team through an end-to-end design
process that adapts to the unique needs of the design systems'
work, but always ensures that problems, objectives, and solution
parameters are clearly defined and understood upfront.
- Create simple, intuitive, and delightful designs. You'll
translate complex ideas into an easy to implement system.
- Partner with engineers. You'll provide engineers with clear
guidance about how your design work is meant to be
- Mentor designers. You'll provide feedback and act as a mentor
to other members of Design.
- Grow the team. We'll look to you to help us identify designers
with the skills, working style, and mindset to level up our design
team and our products.
- Advocate for design. You'll advocate and educate on behalf of
our design team, elevating others' understanding of design and its
value in driving new strategic thinking, innovation, and stronger
customer and business outcomes.
- Advocate for the design system. You'll also advocate for the
design system specifically by communicating strategy, plans, and
updates across the organization to help drive adoption of the Slice
What We're Looking For
- Experience: 7+ years of product design experience, including 3+
years of successfully designing and building durable design systems
at scale within a large product organization. You've been there,
done it, and undoubtedly learned a lot along the way.
- Demonstrated ability to tackle complex problems, design
phenomenal customer experiences, and produce strong customer and
business outcomes. You have a shareable portfolio of design work
that breaks down the problems you were solving, explains your
process for working with teammates to reach a solution, and
showcases strong interaction and visual design skills.
- Design systems expertise. Excellent understanding of best
practices and processes around governance and maintenance of large
scale design systems. You have a technical understanding of how to
build and architect scalable design systems.
- Customer-focused and business-minded. You strive to understand
and serve customers' needs in a way that simultaneously furthers
the business' short- and long-term objectives.
- Understanding of human behavior. You recognize that, in order
to be successful, design must influence how people interact with
products and you understand how your design decisions will affect
- Strong product instincts. You're able to anticipate the effects
of product and design decisions with high accuracy and use your
judgment to help your team make better decisions.
- Visual design sense and expertise. You have a command of visual
design principles and a well-developed aesthetic taste, but you
also understand that visual design is about much more than
aesthetics and recognize how to leverage visual design to improve
usability and direct attention.
- Systems thinking. You're able to think beyond pixels and manage
and weave the complexity of different offerings, understanding how
each affects the others and contributes to the bigger picture.
- Commitment to craft and quality. You obsess over the details of
interaction, visual, and motion design and strive to create the
best possible experience for customers.
- Strong collaboration and relationship-building. You're
effective at building trust and alignment with team members and
peers, and persuading when necessary.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Your
communication is clear, direct, and personable, you provide
thoughtful rationale for your decisions, and you're comfortable and
effective speaking in front of groups of all sizes.
- High agency. You're a self-starter who's able to work
independently, overcome obstacles, and drive projects forward with
- Organization and time management. You have strong
organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to
prioritize and manage multiple high-visibility initiatives
- Open-mindedness. Even when you have a strong conviction in your
point of view, you invite and consider others' perspectives and
- Adaptability. You work in a flexible and empathetic way,
understanding that everyone you collaborate with will have unique
working styles, and each project will vary in its specific process
- A growth mindset. Last, but definitely not least, you have a
strong desire to try new things, learn, and improve.
The Best Parts Of Joining Us
- Work that matters. All of your work at Slice will be focused on
helping hard-working entrepreneurs behind small, independent
businesses to succeed and better serve their local
- Ownership and impact. You'll have true ownership of a large
area of work and be in a position to make a huge impact for both
our customers and the business.
- Transformation. You'll be provided the opportunity to rethink
and redesign the products that exist today in order to
significantly level up the design and help them achieve their
- Design quality. We're committed to creating best-in-class
product experiences and ensuring that all of our designers are put
in a position to do the best work of their career.
- Amazing teammates. You'll be surrounded by smart, kind people
that you'll learn from and enjoy working with on a daily
- Company culture. There are many great aspects of Slice's
culture, but our most special quality is the genuine openness to
and willingness to try out new ideas.
- Your dream workspace. To show our commitment to best-in-class
design, we set up all of our designers with an Apple Pro Display
XDR (in-office) or LG UltraFine 5K Display for Mac (remote) and
whatever else you need to do your best work.
- Career growth. Our business is doing extremely well and growing
quickly, which has created a vibrant environment and ample
opportunities for learning and career growth. As we continue to
grow, so will you.
- FREE PIZZA! Last, but definitely not least, all employees get a
weekly pizza stipend in addition to free pizza served at our
Slice powers independent pizzerias with the specialized technology,
data insights, and shared services they need to serve today's
digital-minded customers. This united network of pizzerias enables
these small businesses to thrive against major corporate chains and
form the nation's largest marketplace for authentic pizza. Slice
makes it easy for customers to order from their go-to shops and
discover their next favorite.
Serial tech entrepreneur Ilir Sela started Slice to solve the
digital challenges his family's New York City pizzerias faced.
Today, the Slice team has grown to over 700+ across 5 offices
globally. If you're ambitious, interested in growing your career,
and hungry to join one of the fastest growing companies in tech, we
may have a role for you. Check out a few awards we've recently won
for our workplace and culture: Inc., Crain's, BuiltinNYC
Slice is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building
an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone
is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected
veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable
national, federal, state, or local law.
Keywords: Slice, Denver , Staff Product Designer, Design Systems (NY or Remote US), Other , Denver, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!