Network Planning Engineer
Company: Zayo Group
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world's most
impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming
our society. Zayo's 133,000-mile network in North America and
Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of
buildings and data centers. Zayo's communications infrastructure
solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths,
Ethernet, and dedicated Internet access. Zayo serves wireless and
wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and
other large enterprises.
The Network Planning Engineer is responsible for creating
optical transport capacity solutions to support delivery of managed
wavelength services. Projects may encompass greenfield builds,
capacity augments, grooms or decommission of circuits/systems.
Budgetary and engineering skills will be used to support various
stakeholders (i.e. Business Units, Engineering, Operations, Tier
III, Field Services and Architecture) in the service delivery
process. A successful candidate must possess a strong desire to
learn optical transport technologies, define and communicate
standardized specifications, and thrive in a fast-paced
cross-functional organization. An aptitude to prioritize tasks and
timelines, while building strong relationships are attributes we
seek in qualified applicants.
- Develop capital budget requests; source equipment vendor
quotes, create project budget and submit for approval. Create and
submit purchase requisitions associated with network infrastructure
projects. Manage and report on capital associated with ongoing
network infrastructure projects.
- Design, engineer and recommend hardware solutions to support
network capacity augments and greenfield system builds. Produce
engineering design packages to support implementation of network
infrastructure. Generate circuit and/or system groom plans and
site/system decommissioning projects as required.
- Procure quotes and define designs for optical fiber circuits,
space, power and telemetry. Submit intercompany requests to Fiber
Solutions to design/build optical fiber spans, and to ISP for
procurement of space and/or power.
- Evaluate and specify hardware/software/services for
technical/cost/timeline feasibility. Work with equipment vendors
and internal technical leadership (i.e. Architecture, Tier III,
NCC, etc.) to confirm support for proposed solution. Analysis of
multi-vendor interoperability and evaluation of standards-based
versus proprietary solutions is required.
- Serve as network infrastructure point of contact; conduct and
attend project calls, support Infrastructure Engineering by
providing technical oversight throughout project completion.
Facilitate creation of standard processes and specifications to
improve efficiency and timely service delivery. Provide and attend
technical training as needed.
- Track, manage and report on network capacity utilization
(channel/slot/port) using network documentation databases. Create
lit channel/slot capacity assignments in documentation databases
and systems to fulfill capacity requests.
- Query production network elements and management systems as
needed to validate available channel/slot/port capacity. Provision
logical services and document reservations in production network
management systems and databases. Assist engineering and service
delivery teams in locating available channel/slot/port
- Interface between equipment vendor(s) and Zayo stakeholders as
needed to validate technical specifications, hardware and software
interoperability, and hardware delivery timelines.
- Facilitate cross-functional communications amongst team members
to foster timely resolution of project obstacles.
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in Telecommunications, Electrical
Engineering, Computer Science, or 2-5 years relevant
telecommunications engineering experience.
- Knowledge of optical fiber technical specifications, testing
and link engineering fundamentals.
- Experience with DWDM network architectures (i.e.
FOADM/ROADM/PON/fixed and flex grid) and signal flow.
- Familiarity with telecommunications service protocol structure
and testing (i.e. Ethernet/OTN/SONET/SDH/SAN).
- Proficiency on a minimum of (2) optical transport platforms
(i.e. Ciena, Infinera, Nokia, Cisco, ADVA, Fujitsu, etc.).
- Understanding of telemetry (DCN) network design, IP subnetting
and routing protocols (i.e. OSPF).
- Experience with data center and carrier hotel connectivity and
telecommunications facility environments.
- MS Office application capabilities required (i.e.
Excel/Visio/Word) and programming/scripting skills preferred.
- Written and verbal communication/negotiating skills required
toward technical/non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision while being a
constructive contributor to a team
- Competitive compensation
Base salary range: $88,629-$96,299
Full-time Zayo employees are also eligible for discretionary
quarterly short-term and long-term incentive cash bonuses which are
based on the performance of the Company, an employee's business
segment, and the individual employee
Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k),
disability and life insurance
Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental
Keywords: Zayo Group, Denver , Network Planning Engineer, Other , Englewood, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!