MasTec North America, Inc. is a leading national infrastructure
construction company operating throughout the United States. MasTec
- Utility Services Group's activities include the installation,
maintenance and upgrade of communication and utility
infrastructure, including but not limited to: communications,
electrical and natural gas distribution infrastructure.
At MasTec you'll be joining a family, where we are dedicated to
supporting each other and building an atmosphere of teamwork. As
part of our team, your opportunities are limitless.
In addition to the valuable skills gained through training and
on-the-job experience, MasTec offers competitive pay, including
medical, vision and dental coverage, 401K and employee stock
The Directional Drill Operator/Locator is responsible for safely
operating the directional drill to place product underground then
locate the drill head to understand elevation changes and make
decisions on depths to drill at to avoid hitting underground
utilities. This position supports the Line team and works with
personnel within the department.
* Operate the drill rig efficiently.
* Prepare job and drill so that the shot can be performed
* Pothole all utilities that will either be paralleled or
crossed during the bore shot.
* Verify existing utilities.
* Fill water tanks with water.
* Combine water with chemicals for boring according to the
ground you are drilling in.
* Locate the drill head from point A to point B without hitting
any utilities at the correct depth.
* Hook up swivel, reamer, and pipe product that will be pulled
back to complete the bore shot.
* Before the bore shot is started, walk out bore shot to ensure
all utilities have been located and develop a plan for going above
or below each utility or obstacle in the bore path.
* Pull back the product with the correct hole opener and utilize
the correct mud mixture to ensure that the product makes it from
point B to point A.
* Inspect and maintain job equipment.
* Perform other duties as required and/or assigned.
1. A High School Diploma, or equivalent.
2. 1 year of relevant experience.
3. CDL Class A license with tanker endorsement.
4. OSHA 10 Certification.
5. Precise hand-eye coordination.
6. Good written and verbal communication skills.
7. Ability to do some maintenance of drill equipment and mixing
8. Clarity of vision at 20 feet or more and 20 inches or less,
with the ability to judge distance and space relationships.
9. Ability to identify and distinguish colors of utility flags
and markings on the ground.
1. 3 or more years of experience.
2. Ability to clearly communicate instructions to assist with
$18-21/hour, Depending on experience. Also, the company will
provide per diem and/or hotel accommodations when applicable when
you are required to be away from your home base.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
This job operates in a field environment. This role routinely
requires extended periods of bending, squatting, climbing,
kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting, lifting in awkward positions,
standing, and twisting. Also, working in inclement weather
conditions, such as extreme heat, extreme cold, rain, ice, snow,
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of the job. This position is physically active,
with lifting required. Must be able to bend and lift and carry up
to 50 pounds.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
The Company reserves the right to revise or change the job duties
as the need arises. Management reserves the right to change the
description, duties or work schedules to accommodate individuals