Respiratory Therapy Supervisor, Nights
Company: Denver Health
Posted on: May 4, 2021
Provides technical and administrative supervision to respiratory
therapists and ancillary personnel. Monitors the respiratory care
delivered in the respiratory therapy department, as well as all
aspects of respiratory therapy equipment. Prepares work schedules,
assigns and rotates employees to appropriate shifts.
1. Performs all duties assigned to Sr. Respiratory Therapists on
2. Manages and coordinates the activities of employees assigned to
area; determines work procedures and expedites workflow; assigns
duties and reviews work; prepares necessary and required reports to
management. Maintains data bases and benchmarking for department
3. Maintains the Blood Gas lab, ensures all regulatory requirements
are met, performs all auditing and quality measurements, ensures
proper equipment ordering and repairs are meet.
4. Determines staff training needs and performs or arranges
individual or group in-service instruction, reporting significant
staff deficiencies to the Director of Pulmonary Services, and
participates in the planning and implementation of department wide
respiratory therapy training programs.
5. Monitors testing of equipment by direct observation. Monitors
inventory list of supplies to determine if supplies are being
ordered as needed. Communicates daily with equipment technicians
regarding equipment issues. Projects requirements for equipment and
supplies and recommends and justifies such items for inclusion in
the annual budget request.
6. Makes regular ward rounds to evaluate the efficiency and
effectiveness of Respiratory Therapy services, consulting with
nursing and medical personnel as may be required to coordinate
patient care services. Conducts bedside rounds with Respiratory
Therapists to document compliance with policies and procedures.
Uses rounding checklist for records of rounds with individual
employee. Performs chart audits to assure compliance with
physicians orders, charges entered, and documentation completed.
Implements and coordinates annual and new process and equipment
competencies and staff educational opportunities.
7. Monitors the quality, productivity, and standards of respiratory
care and provides guidance, direction, and feedback to all staff
and direct responsibility for direct reports.
8. Coordinates with physicians and research departments to
implement, monitor and document studies. Responsible for the
creation and implantation of processes, guidelines and education
with all respiratory care expansions.
9. Evaluates new devices and reports on findings, including
purchase price and maintenance cost factors. Arranges and
supervises on-the- job testing of equipment as may be needed for
thorough analysis. Instructs staff by lecture and demonstration in
the operation and application of equipment.
10. On a rotating basis, assumes administrative on call duties as
delegated by the Director of Pulmonary Services. Takes sick calls,
assesses staffing needs, and takes appropriate measures to assure
adequate staffing levels. Implements emergency and disaster plans
as detailed in policy and procedure manual.
11. Promotes positive interpersonal (customer) relationships with
fellow employees, physicians, patients and visitors. Treats these
individuals with courtesy, dignity, empathy and respect;
consistently displays courteous and respectful verbal and nonverbal
12. Adheres to, complies with and demonstrates support for the
mission and values of Denver Health. Supports and adheres to the
Denver Health Dozen.
13. Sets clear expectations for staff by developing job specific
customer service expectations and behaviors for each position
supervised; clearly communicates expectations to each employee and
establishes the expectations as job requirements and performance
appraisal components; delegates responsibility/authority whenever
14. Conducts all performance evaluations on time, working with each
employee at least annually to set specific behavioral goals.
Perform counseling sessions as needed.
15. Other duties as assigned.
For Patient Care Positions:
1. Ensures all duties, responsibilities and competencies are
conducted in a manner that is effective and appropriate to
patients/clients to whom care/service is being provided.
2. Demonstrates knowledge and applicability of the principles of
growth and development over the life span, as well as demonstrating
the ability to assess data reflecting the patient's status and
interpreting appropriate cultural information of the patient(s) to
whom care/ services is being delivered/provided.
3. Employee has completed and met their clinical competency
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
1. Knowledge of Respiratory Care standards and guidelines used to
perform essential functions of the job.
2. Excellent working knowledge of Respiratory Care instruments and
equipment Understand and institute advanced modes of ventilation as
ordered by physician.
3. Excellent communication skills to establish and maintain
effective working relationships with patients, hospital staff and
coworkers. Skill to properly use ventilators, monitoring equipment,
oxygen respiratory equipment and other clinic tools.
4. Ability to monitor and evaluate staff.
Education & Experience
1. Five years' experience as a respiratory therapist including two
years of experience of the type and at the level of Senior
2. Bachelor's Degree (Required). BS in Respiratory Care
3. Graduated from AMA approved Respiratory Therapy program.
1. Must possess and maintain current License to Practice
Respiratory Therapy in the State of Colorado.
2. Respiratory Therapist (Required)
3. Basic Life Support (BLS/CPR) from American Heart Association
4. Must be BLS, ACLS, PALS, NRP certified.
This position will be responsible for, but not limited to, hiring,
terminating, performance management, coaching, supervision,
fostering teamwork, training and development of one or more
Denver Health Main Campus
All job applicants for safety-sensitive positions must pass a
pre-employment drug test, once a conditional offer of employment
has been made.
Denver Health is an integrated, efficient, high-quality
academic health care system that is considered a model for the
nation. The Denver Health system includes the Rocky Mountain
Regional Level I Trauma Center, a 525-bed acute care medical
center, Denver's 911 emergency medical response system, 8 family
health centers, 15 school-based health centers, the Rocky Mountain
Poison and Drug Center, the Denver Public Health Department, an
HMO, and The Denver Health Foundation.
As Colorado's primary safety net institution, Denver Health is a
mission-driven organization that has provided more than $3.3
billion in care for the uninsured in the last ten years. Denver
Health is a leader in performance and quality improvements and
remains financially secure, in part, due to its nationally
recognized implementation of lean principles in healthcare. Denver
Health is a major resource to the community, serving approximately
185,000 individuals and 67,000 children a year.
Located just south of downtown Denver, Denver Health is just
minutes away from many of the cultural and recreational activities
Denver has to offer.
We strongly support diversity in the workforce and Denver Health is
an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
"Denver Health is committed to provide equal treatment and equal
employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. Denver
Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate
against any employee or applicant for employment because of race,
color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation,
gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or
any other federal, state or local protected class."
Keywords: Denver Health, Denver , Respiratory Therapy Supervisor, Nights, Other , Denver, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!