Senior Financial Analyst
CO - Golden
Hours Per Week
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), located at the
foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Golden, Colorado is the
nation's primary laboratory for research and development of
renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies.
This Financial Analyst position will serve as a senior rates and
pricing specialist, focused on the development, monitoring, and
analyses of Lab overhead rates, standard labor rates, NREL's Cost
Accounting Standards Board Disclosure Statement, and related
policies and procedures. Will work within a dynamic,
high-performing, and leading class CFO organization closely
collaborating with other CFO analysts and managers to solve complex
financial planning, programming, budgeting, and execution tasks, as
well as improve institutional processes. This position, as a senior
member of the lab support team, has opportunities to engage in many
areas of the Lab's business from decision support and compliance,
to project and funding administration.
Responsibilities for this role include, but are not limited
Budget Formulation and Planning:
- Assist Lab leadership with decisions on changes to the cost
accounting structure and/or standard labor rate structure, which
may include providing innovative ideas or solutions, problem
solving, conducting complex analyses, helping others understand
regulations, and developing plans to execute approved changes.
- Provide support to the NREL annual financial planning processes
to include providing direction to Business Managers and fellow
analysts, developing templates and forms, consolidating inputs to
multi-year rate proposals, performing ad hoc analysis, and
communicating impacts and results.
- Assist managers with analysis needed for development of
reasonable targets each fiscal year.
- Developing, monitoring, and reporting on Lab metrics.
- Consulting on or assisting with the development of DOE (FOA)
and Non-DOE (SPP) proposals and cash flow analysis.
- Monitor and evaluate reasonableness and accuracy of ongoing
financial plans for programs and projects, as well as assist
Business Manager with analysis to support the development of lab
forecasts for productivity, affordability, and cost.
- Develop and/or maintain monthly financial tracking and
monitoring reports for overhead rates, standard labor rates, and
Lab-wide budget execution.
- Analyze plan versus actual cost data and discuss any issues
with the applicable managers.
- Communicate on a regular basis with Lab Leadership, Program
Managers, Project Leaders, Task/Subtask Leaders, Business Managers
and Financial Analysts regarding significant financial requirements
and data calls.
Finance Policies and Procedures:
- Provide technical financial guidance on matters related to
project pricing and rates application.
- Assist with the development and/or maintenance of policies and
procedures for Financial Planning & Analysis group
- Support Laboratory policies by assisting leaders in their
understanding of fiscal management responsibilities.
- Work closely with project leaders to maintain updates to
project cost breakdown structures using Oracle Enterprise Business
- Create, support, monitor, and update various time-phased budget
plans, as required.
- Provide ad hoc reporting for personnel when any financial data
- Assist with training of new staff to understand financial
responsibilities of their roles.
- Assist with supporting external and internal audit requests
including detailed support, effective answers, and the occasional
audit report response.
Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting or a related field and
9 or more years of experience working in a financial field.
Or, Master's Degree in Finance, Accounting or related field and
7 or more years of experience in a financial field.
Or, relevant PhD in Finance, Accounting or a related field and 4
or more years of experience in a financial field.
Or, relevant JD in Finance, Accounting or a related field and 4
or more years of experience in a financial field.
Additional Required Qualifications
- Extensive knowledge of laws, regulations, principles,
procedures, and practices related to financial management in a
government contracting environment as well as excellent leadership,
project management and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to use various software programs at an advanced level,
particularly Microsoft Excel.
- Previous experience with financial management & budgeting in a
government contracting environment.
- Excellent leadership, project management and problem solving
skills. Ability to use various computer software programs.
- Previous experience with Microsoft Power BI.
- Previous experience with U.S. Cost Accounting Standards,
including CASB Disclosure Statements.
- A general understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting
Principles and their relation to the timing of cost, accruals, and
Annual Salary Range (based on full-time 40 hours per week)
Annual Salary Range: $73,900 - $133,100
Offers will typically be made in the bottom half of the listed
range. NREL takes into consideration a candidate's education,
training, and experience, as well as the position's work location,
expected quality and quantity of work, required travel (if any),
external market and internal value, including seniority and merit
systems, and internal pay alignment when determining the salary
level for potential new employees. In compliance with the Colorado
Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, a potential new employee's salary
history will not be used in compensation decisions.
Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance;
short- and long-term disability insurance; pension
benefits; 403(b) Employee Savings Plan with employer
match; life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D)
insurance; personal time off (PTO) and sick leave; paid holidays;
and tuition reimbursement. NREL employees may be eligible for,
but are not guaranteed, performance-, merit-, and achievement-
based awards that include a monetary component. Some positions may
be eligible for relocation expense reimbursement. Limited-term
positions are not eligible for long-term disability or tuition
- Based on eligibility rules
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any
position at NREL you must submit an application form for each
position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are
not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover
letter and resume with each position application.
NREL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard basis of age (40 and over), color, disability,
gender identity, genetic information, marital status, military or
veteran status, national origin/ancestry, race, religion, creed,
sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding), sexual
orientation, and any other applicable status protected by federal,
state, or local laws.
EEO is the Law | Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination | Reasonable
E-Verify www.dhs.gov/E-Verify|For information about right to
work, click here for English or here for Spanish.
E-Verify is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of
Homeland Security. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring
practices to achieve a lawful workforce.