Company: Western Resource Advocates
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Home Careers Staff Attorney or Senior Staff Attorney,
Clean Energy Program
Staff Attorney or Senior Staff Attorney, Clean Energy
WRA is seeking a highly motivated, strategic attorney to join
our Clean Energy Team in Colorado!
Serving others is more important than ever. In light of the
current COVID-19 pandemic, we want to assure you that WRA is
actively hiring for the following position. Join our committed
staff as we stay home, stay healthy, and continue to fight to
protect the Wests land, air, and water.
Western Resource Advocates (WRA) is seeking a highly motivated,
strategic attorney to join our Clean Energy Team in Colorado.
Depending on relevant experience and demonstrated skill, the
position can be either a Staff Attorney or a Senior Staff Attorney.
This position will represent WRA in a diverse array of rulemaking
and litigated proceedings before Colorado regulatory agencies,
including the Colorado Public Utilities Commission and the Colorado
Air Quality Control Commission. The attorney will also assist in
WRAs legislative advocacy efforts and may occasionally be involved
in state or federal litigation. In partnership with other members
of the Colorado Clean Energy Team, the attorney will create and
leverage opportunities to advance equitable clean energy policy
solutions through negotiation and strategic litigation. The ideal
candidate has a commitment to climate action and is capable of
independently managing a docket of complex regulatory matters. This
position will report to a senior member of the Colorado Clean
Energy Team and is an exciting opportunity to shape state-level
policy to help build a just, clean, and sustainable future for the
communities and economies of the Interior West.
About Western Resource Advocates
Founded in 1989, Western Resource Advocates is dedicated to
protecting the Wests land, air, and water to ensure that vibrant
communities exist in balance with nature. We use law, science, and
economics to craft innovative solutions to the most pressing
conservation issues in the region within three core program areas:
Clean Energy, Healthy Rivers and Western Lands.
In the face of population growth and climate change, the Western
United States needs a strong and effective advocacy voice at the
regional level to address changes that are already underway and to
steer the West towards a sustainable future. WRA has aggressive
plans to tackle these challenges. We envision a future in the West
- Western rivers and lakes will have abundant clean water to
support habitat for fish and wildlife, communities and agriculture,
and world class recreational opportunities. The Colorado River will
flow to the sea;
- Our homes, buildings and transportation systems will be powered
by clean energy. The West will prosper in a zero-carbon
- Half of western landscapes and habitat will be protected and
connected to support thriving wildlife populations and unparalleled
opportunities to enjoy the Wests natural beauty; and
- The West will have clean air and clean water to support healthy
communities and vital habitat.
The position has the option to start work remotely from anywhere
along Colorados Front Range, or from WRAs Boulder or Denver office.
WRA employees are strongly encouraged to work from home during the
COVID-19 pandemic. After the pandemic, we anticipate this position
would work at least a few days a week from WRAs Boulder or Denver
Responsibilities and Activities
POLICY DEVELOPMENT AND ADVOCACY
- Represent WRA as an attorney and policy advocate in proceedings
before the Colorado Public Utilities Commission and other Colorado
regulatory agencies, courts, legislative bodies, and other
- Provide counsel and strategic advice regarding state and
federal energy regulation, climate policy, and administrative
- Prepare discovery, pleadings, oral argument, cross-examination,
and testimony for adversarial proceedings.
- Negotiate and draft complex settlement agreements.
- Assist with guidance of outside experts and legal
- Provide legal and strategic business advice on non-regulatory
matters as needed.
- Monitor and track relevant state and federal policies.
- Work directly with the regions electric utilities, state and
municipal governments, consumer groups, the environmental
community, and other stakeholders to advance policies aimed at
accelerating a clean energy transition.
- Identify and manage effective coalitions of diverse partners to
- Occasional travel to meetings and events, generally within the
Interior West (post COVID-19).
- Juris Doctor degree from ABA accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in Colorado.
- Background in environmental, energy, or other types of
- Ability to manage a deadline-driven docket of regulatory
- Understanding of current issues in energy and climate
regulation and policy.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Strong written and oral communication abilities.
- Comfort in communicating with a variety of policymakers,
constituencies and audiences.
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate effectively with
a variety of stakeholders.
Senior Staff Attorney Qualifications
To be considered for a Senior Staff Attorney role, the candidate
should possess at least two of the following additional
- Experience independently managing a deadline-driven docket of
complex regulatory litigation, with minimal supervision.
- Significant experience as a litigator in public utilities
regulatory proceedings, ideally in Colorado.
- Experience with air quality law or climate policy.
- Existing relationships with key stakeholders or policymakers in
the Colorado energy community.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range is $65,000 to $90,000 for a Staff Attorney and
$85,000 to $105,000 for a Senior Staff Attorney annually; salary
depends on relevant experience and new staff rarely start at the
top of the range. WRAs excellent benefits package includes health,
dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) retirement plan, life &
disability insurance, 3 weeks paid vacation leave, sick leave,
parental leave, sabbatical leave after five years; and an RTD
EcoPass for staff in the Denver/Boulder metro area. Position is
Deadline to Apply: Open until filled, with priority review of
applications starting on Monday, May 24, 2021
Western Resource Advocates is an equal opportunity employer
(EOE) and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant
for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sex,
gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin,
age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.
Apply to be WRAs Staff Attorney or Senior Staff Attorney!
Thank you for your interest in the Staff Attorney or Senior
Staff Attorney role with Western Resource Advocates. Complete the
two forms below to apply for the position. You will need to
upload the following in PDF format:
- Cover letter to the attention of Meagan Kadlec, Recruitment and
Hiring Manager, describing your relevant qualifications and the
reason for your interest in WRA and this position;
- Resume; and
- A legal writing sample (no more than 10 pages).
Keywords: Western Resource Advocates, Denver , Staff Attorney, Other , denver, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!