2021 Summer of Service Corpsmember (Colorado Springs)
Company: Mile High Youth Corps
Posted on: April 5, 2021
The Land Conservation Leaders Program is a demanding, team-based,
leadership experience. Land Conservation Leaders (LCLs) begin the
program with two weeks of in-house training and five weeks of field
training. They then transition to Crew Leadership roles for the
Summer of Service and Fall Forestry seasons. LCLs lead conservation
and environmental stewardship projects on public lands throughout
the Southern Front Range Region. Projects include trail
construction and maintenance, fire mitigation, habitat restoration,
fencing and park development.
This is a temporary position, from March 29, 2021 - November 19,
* 1200 hour term of AmeriCorps service in an 8 month
* 40 hour weeks Monday-Friday, hours will vary by season and
* Overnight camping is required for most projects, trainings and
* Trainings: Wilderness First Aid/CPR Curriculum Completion
Certificate, S-212 chainsaw equivalency certification (required for
sawyers), Leave No TraceTM outdoor ethics, trail building and
maintenance, pesticide application, facilitation and public
speaking, peer mentoring, and extensive leadership development.
Opportunities to facilitate and lead trainings and projects may
occur throughout the program:
* Trainings: Fully participate in and provide leadership for
educational activities, including environmental stewardship, civic
engagement, healthy living, social justice and career readiness,
for up to four hours a week in the field.
* Projects: Serve as Crew Leaders on a variety of Land Conservation
crews. Crews are comprised of eight to ten 18-24 year olds from
MHYC is committed to hiring candidates with unique backgrounds and
perspectives. If you are interested in this position but are
concerned that you do not meet all of the requirements or possess
all of the necessary skills, or that prior convictions or your
background might disqualify you, we encourage you to submit an
* Between 19-24 years old and eligible to legally serve in the
United States. Documentation will be required on the first day.
* Must be eligible for enrollment in AmeriCorps as a US Citizen,
National, or Lawful Permanent Resident. Documentation will be
required on the first day.
* High School Diploma or equivalency required.
* Must be physically fit and capable of participating in intense
physical labor including but not limited to: ability to lift 50
lbs., spend 8-10 hours a day in all weather conditions, hike 7
miles with a day-pack, conduct repetitive hand and arm motions, and
maneuver in tight spaces, including bending and kneeling.
* Able to camp between 4 and 9 consecutive days at a time in all
* Able to commit to the entire term of service, March 29-November
* Some LCLs will be required to drive MHYC vehicles. Drivers must
be at least 21 years old, possess a valid driver's license and have
an insurable DMV record.
* Pre-service National Service Criminal History Check and drug
screen required; this position does not have recurring access to
* Members must not engage in any prohibited activities as listed in
the AmeriCorps Member Service Agreement and appropriately represent
Mile High Youth Corps both in behavior and dress code.
* This position reports to Program Coordinator: Land
* Service location: 417 E Vermijo Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO
Keywords: Mile High Youth Corps, Denver , 2021 Summer of Service Corpsmember (Colorado Springs), Other , Monument, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!