Business Risk and Controls Advisor Lead
Posted on: October 18, 2020
Purpose of JobWe are currently seeking a talented Business Risk
and Controls Advisor Lead for the San Antonio Home Office, Phoenix,
Colorado Springs, Tampa, Plano or 100% Remote Work from home
The candidate will be responsible for providing governance and
oversight of first line of defense risk programs, primarily Risk
Assessment and Risk Inventory programs. As a part of this oversight
role, the candidate will apply their experience and understanding
of risk management across various principal risks (Operational,
Compliance, Strategic, Reputation, Legal, and Finance).The team is
responsible for driving risk program consistency and guidance
across the Bank first line of defense. This will include effective
communication to various levels of the organization including USAA
leadership and regular collaboration with enterprise partners. In
addition to governance and oversight, the candidate will contribute
to building and delivering executive level reporting of risk
programs on behalf of the Bank. The ability to prioritize tasks in
a busy working environment will play a key role in the success of
Promotes a risk-awareness to ensure the overall effectiveness of
risk and compliance management programs, risk analytics and
operations in the business. This role will partner and collaborate
with Compliance and Risk Management, as well as Business
Operations, IT, Audit Services, and Regulators to support risk and
compliance based initiatives. Responsible for ensuring adherence to
the governance of the established risk framework and ongoing
supervision of business controls. including risk and control
self-assessments, identification and evaluation of control
effectiveness, identifying control failures, facilitating risk and
compliance remediation, market conduct exams, and monitoring the
first line of defense in an effort to minimize risk exposures and
strengthen the overall control environment. Manages risk assessment
data, and identifies key data-driven insights tied to first line of
defense.Job RequirementsAbout USAAUSAA knows what it means to
serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S.
military members and their families. This singular mission requires
a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.In each of the
past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to
Work For , and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military
Friendly Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran
workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply. (17
seconds) (31 seconds)
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem
from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are
effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for
- Directs and oversees multiple initiatives in support of risk
and/or regulatory compliance related initiatives including but not
limited to: oversight of procedures/process, accurate regulatory
reporting and filing, document governance, risk control
self-assessments, procedure governance, control design, new product
controls, CoSA Third Party Governance, or quality governance.
- Applies a holistic understanding of risk and regulatory
compliance to includes business strategies and solutions.
- Responsible for first line of defense data analysis, report
preparation and trend analysis, utilizing business intelligence
- Designs solutions for unanswered business questions and
anticipates future business needs.
- Directs, organizes and oversees action plans designed to
enhance governance practices in alignment with risk and compliance
- Influences and develops innovative solutions to mitigate risk
and prevent risk exposures which result in significant business
- Manages the most complex projects involving cross-functional
areas within the first line of defense.
- Defines and outlines new approaches to problem resolution and
leads project team from concept through implementation.
- Advises senior management on the status of their control
environment related to risk identification and control
- Identifies critical areas to monitor and escalates issues and
findings to appropriate stakeholders.
- Serves as a primary resource to cross functional team members
and advises on risk mitigation opportunities.
- Stays informed of changes to the regulatory environment to
ensure proper compliance with processes and requirements are
- Bachelor's Degree or 4 additional years of related experience
beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a
- 8 years of experience supporting risk and/or compliance related
activities in a financial services operating environment or other
- Or 8 years of experience in a relevant quantitative
- Or advanced degree or designation in a risk management or
quantitative discipline, and 6 years of experience supporting risk
and/or compliance related activities.
- Or PhD in a risk management or quantitative discipline, and 4
years of experience supporting risk and/or compliance related
activities.*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job
level*When you apply for this position, you will be required to
answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5
minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to
finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your
- Bank risk management experience in both the first and second
lines of defense (have spent at least one year in first line AND at
least one year in second line as a part of the minimum experience
- Bank risk management experience in consumer banking
- Bank experience in building or improving GRC system tools.
- Bank risk management experience providing guidance or direction
based on risk program frameworks or methodology.
- Large Financial Institution Experience.The above description
reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal
functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed
description of all the work requirements that may be performed in
the job.At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits
package in the business, including a flexible business casual or
casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision
plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs.
Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education
will assist you with your professional goals.Relocation assistance
is not available for this position.For Internal Candidates:Must
complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date
of placement), or must have manager s approval prior to
posting.Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is
10/12/20 by 11:59 pm CST time.
Keywords: USAA, Denver , Business Risk and Controls Advisor Lead, Other , Monument, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!