Associate General Counsel
Company: AES Corporation
Posted on: June 14, 2019
At AES, we raise the quality of life around the world by changing
the way energy works. Everyone makes an impact every day in our
small, global teams. Apply here to start an extraordinary career
Associate General Counsel for US Renewables has primary
responsibility for leading a team of legal professionals that
supports dynamic and growing businesses in developing, acquiring,
constructing, owning and operating distributed solar, solar plus
storage and other renewable energy projects throughout the United
States. The position works closely with senior management.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Attend to all aspects and issues related to renewable project
development and financing, with a special focus on solar/solar plus
- Structure, draft review and effectively negotiate debt and
equity financing structures, including portfolio financing
structures, back-leverage debt, tax equity partnership
- Structure, draft, review and effectively negotiate membership
interest purchase and sale agreements, power purchase agreements,
engineering, procurement and construction contracts.
- Perform diligence and provide diligence guidance to development
teams and external counsel regarding project acquisition and
- Provide general legal support to finance, business development,
construction and operations teams in the deployment of renewables
- Provide general legal counsel and strategic guidance to senior
and executive level management.
- Lead a growing team of lawyers and paralegals to support the
business' goals, providing guidance on career development, and
effectively supervising a team charged with providing comprehensive
- Manage paralegals with day-to-day responsibilities for
transaction (debt, tax equity, project acquisition) management,
entity management and corporate responsibility for a growing and
dynamic business with over 120 subsidiaries.
- Actively manage the legal budget to drive superior results for
the business, including working with law firms to drive creative
pricing models and exploring ways that technology could improve the
delivery of legal services.
- Effectively and efficiently engage and manage outside
Education, Qualifications and Expertise:
- J.D. from an accredited law school required, with excellent
- Active bar membership in good standing in at least one U.S.
- 12+ years of experience at a large law firm or comparable
in-house corporate environment with a sophisticated corporate
- Strong experience in project finance and project development,
experience with renewables or distributed energy resources strongly
Personal Attributes and Traits:
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication
- Well-organized and hardworking, with the ability to thrive in a
fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to manage numerous projects simultaneously under tight
- A high level of intellectual, professional and interpersonal
agility and flexibility, combined with strong analytical and
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with multiple
internal groups members, with the ability to grasp and develop
creative legal solutions responsive to the applicable business
objective and explain those legal solutions to non-lawyers.
- Team oriented.
- Unquestionable ethics and integrity, sound judgment.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Excitement to wear many different hats and ability to
re-prioritize in to meet business goals.
- Willingness to work on a broad variety of subject matters.
Self-starter that likes to take on responsibility.
- Strong interest and curiosity with respect to the global energy
industry and the Company's business and operations.
- Ability to embrace innovation and change, and belief that there
is always room for improvement.
Keywords: AES Corporation, Denver , Associate General Counsel, Legal , Boulder, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!