Peer Specialist - Mobile MAT
Company: Jefferson Center for Mental Health
Location: Wheat Ridge
Posted on: July 12, 2019
This position is an opportunity to impact the opioid epidemic in a
powerful and profound way by providing services to a population of
people, largely in rural settings (including the mountains), that
do not have access to treatment for substance use disorders. The
mobile unit team (Clinician, Nurse, Peer) will outreach and provide
treatment to consumers throughout the Jefferson Center region.
Hours can be variable and may include weekends.
Our definition of a 'Peer' is someone who has a consumer experience
of a substance use disorder and the 'Specialist' refers to one's
ability to translate recovery methods, plans and tactics to our
consumers as a coach, promoting consumer engagement in medication
assisted treatment and other recovery resources.
* Work some weekends and evening hours
* Be flexible to accommodate the needs of a mobile unit including
driving an RV
* Effective de-escalation techniques
* Motivational Interviewing skills
* Advocate for consumers
* Teach/mentor consumers on illness management.
* Demonstrates ways to become empowered and self-responsible.
* Supports consumers in learning how to make good choices for
* Resource acquisition including assisting consumers with
application for benefits and basic needs such as housing, food,
clothing, medical, dental care, legal, vocational, psychiatric
* Establish and maintain relationships with community agencies
* Maintains confidentiality
* Identify risk factors including lethality and/or decompensation.
Coordinate an appropriate and timely handoff to facilitate
intervention by clinical staff or the emergency team.
Other Duties (Productivity Performance Measures, Professional
* Attends mandatory in-services; compliance with individualized
training plan if required
* Participates in supervision by coming prepared with an agenda.
Reports high risk/problem cases, and utilizes a problem solving
approach as well as feedback.
* Documentation: Submits 90% of PTD forms within 3 working days
* Exhibits enthusiasm, respect, adaptability, flexibility, and
spirit of cooperation in the work environment
* Maintains effective interpersonal relations with consumers,
peers, subordinates, upper management, visitors and the general
public. Uses language and behavior to promote dignity and
* Effectively responds to the client/consumer needs and problems,
initiates and maintains positive interactions, timely response to
phone calls, email and other requests.
* Demonstrates knowledge and skills to develop therapeutic alliance
with consumers and to work effectively and with cultural competence
with consumers from diverse backgrounds.
* Participates in staff development activities to enhance
* Addresses the whole health needs of the client by ensuring that
appropriate referrals are made as needed when significant physical
health needs are a consideration
* Participates in team meetings and planned activities.
* Have an understanding of how trauma impacts the lives of the
people being served, so that every interaction is consistent with
the recovery process and reduces the possibility of
* Participate in the Center's training/educational programs
designed to enhance knowledge about Trauma Informed Care, the
impact of trauma and trauma recovery.
* Ensure that delivery practices are guided by the 10 principles of
trauma informed care.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of
all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the
* High School degree or Equivalent.
* Certification as a Colorado Peer & Family Specialist (CPFS) or
ability to obtain in 180 days
* Bilingual (English/Spanish) Preferred
* Knowledge of Recovery-based concepts.
* Good Communication and Organization Skills.
* Personal Resilience.
* Personal History of Consumer Experience of a Substance Use
* 2 years free of substances
* Experience with or utilization of medication assisted
* Current Colorado Driver's license and DMV Background Clearance to
operate Mobile Unit (33 ft. RV)
* Basic Computer Skills
Keywords: Jefferson Center for Mental Health, Denver , Peer Specialist - Mobile MAT, IT / Software / Systems , Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!