Principal Software Engineer
Company: Job Juncture
Posted on: May 6, 2021
The Minimally Invasive Therapies Group strives to enable earlier
diagnosis, better treatment, faster complication-free recovery, and
enhanced patient outcomes through less invasive surgical
solutions.SURGICAL INNOVATIONS set the standard for Minimally
Invasive Surgery (MIS) by creating innovative surgical products and
services that focus on obesity and diseases and conditions of the
gastrointestinal tract, lung, abdominal wall, pelvic region, and
the head and neck.A Day in the Life Designs and develops innovative
medical device software for these cutting-edge platforms. Works
with other software engineers and cross-functional personnel to
design novel and creative software frameworks, algorithms, etc.
Designs and implements software of embedded devices and systems
from requirements to production and commercial deployment.
Responsible for design, debug, and integration of embedded C
applications running in a real-time OS environment. Develops
low-level software for communicating with electronic hardware,
particularly sensors and motors. Develops software to communicate
with devices via network and/or embedded APIs. Integrate
third-party software where appropriate. Provides input to other
platform teams. Works with customers, vendors, or other technical
or non-technical stakeholders to assess software needs and
performance. Reviews code and interfaces with software quality
assurance to ensure that all software meets medical device quality
standards. Tests software and fix bugs.Responsibilities may include
the following and additional duties may be assigned:
- Designs, develops, tests, debugs and implements operating
systems components, software tools and utilities.
- Determines systems software design requirements.
- Ensures that system improvements are successfully implemented
and monitored to increase efficiency.
- Assists with software engineering policies, standards and
- Provides technical guidance and ensures process
- Capable of developing high quality, structured, modular
- Can effectively use design descriptions, flowcharts, layouts,
diagrams, graphs, etc. to demonstrate concepts or solutions.
- Strong knowledge of microprocessor based embedded systems.
(knowledge of one or more microprocessors is desirable).
- Capable of developing software interfaces for communicating
with physical devices via SPI, I2C, serial/UART, PWM generators,
- Capable of reading and comprehending schematics and electronic
component data sheets.
- Knowledge of basic electronics required; must be comfortable
using oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, multimeters, etc. to debug
the hardware/software interface.
- Proficient with standard OS features (e.g. threading and
concurrency, memory management, device drivers, I/O, etc.).
- Proficient at using common development tools: environments,
compilers, build management software, debugging and source control
- Exposure to FDA or regulatory body submittals for devices with
Exciting opportunity to join a global medical device company. Lot's
of room for growth!In this exciting role as a Principal Software
Engineer you will work within the R&D engineering team to
develop and support the company's next-generation minimally
invasive platform. This Principal Software Engineer will develop
embedded software for the MIS platform as well as provide technical
guidance and ensure process compliance. This software will perform
supporting functions, control and/or communicate with embedded
computing hardware and other networked devices, and monitor/
respond to diverse conditions. In addition, s/he will work with
cross-functional engineering teams to assist with the evaluation
and integration of other technologies into the MIS
platform.Requirements:Work Experience: - 8+ years of embedded
software development experience in a process-oriented environment.
Experience with IEC 62304 standard highly desirable. - Must have
practical programming experience delivering real products. - Must
demonstrate significant proficiency in C. - Solid programming
experience in C/C++, including C# - Experience with real-time
software on microprocessor-based systems. (knowledge of one or more
real-time OS is desirable). - Experience in hands-on development
and troubleshooting on embedded targets. - Experience with
test-driven development and unit testing strongly preferred. -
Proficiency with software configuration management tools, defect
tracking tools, and peer review.Must Have: Minimum Requirements
- Requires a Baccalaureate degree in Electrical, or Computer
Science, Advanced degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of relevant experience
- Advanced degree with a minimum of 6 years relevant
experienceNice to Have
- Experience developing software for medical products.
- Knowledge of communication data protocols (such as TCP/UDP/IP,
- Working knowledge of Micrium OS.
- Familiarity with digital signal processing and digital
- Preference given to candidates with proficiency in brushless DC
motor control software.
- Hands-on experience with electronics.
- Experience in sensors, signal processing, controls, power
electronics, motor drives or robotics.
- Experience reviewing, porting, and integrating third-party
code, and/or using application frameworks.
- Experience with VHDL/FPGA development.
- Experience with embedded GUI.
- Experience with developing and executing Unit tests and System
Integration tests.Other Skills:
- Fluency in English required.
- Knowledge of anatomy and/or medical and surgical procedures is
Keywords: Job Juncture, Denver , Principal Software Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Denver, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!