Nurse Extern Position - Nurse Extern
Company: Good Samaritan Medical Center
Posted on: September 19, 2023
Nurse Extern PositionJob Description:
A nursing student who has completed a minimum of one
medical/surgical rotation in an accredited nursing program and is
pending nursing licensure. All nursing students hired into this
position would be expected to obtain nursing licensure as soon as
possible and transition into a new graduate nurse resident
position, as available, for the next available cohort after
licensure (see addendum to this job description).
Works under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse except as
noted in addendum.
1. Responds to patient care needs by answering call lights,
assisting patients with hygiene care and nourishment, obtaining
vital signs, and communicating constructively, effectively and
timely with members of the care team.
2. Assist with Foley catheter insertion, care and removal.
3. Checks and documents patient vitals, glucose, inputs and
4. Performs secondary assessments as additions to the primary
assessment performed by a Registered Nurse.
5. Assist with Nasogastric tube insertions.
6. Assist with patient and family education related to the
patient's disease process, medications and interventions related to
plan of care.
7. Document patient care with additional signature of Registered
8. Assists nurses and physicians within scope and competency.
9. Active participant in meeting patient experience goals.
10. Assists with patient transfers, admissions and discharges as
directed and in compliance with the principles of safe patient
11. Promotes mission, vision, and values of SCL Health, and abides
by service behavior standards.
12. Demonstrates and adheres to the standards of infection
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
14. May be required to float to other departments (within scope of
competency and qualifications) based on business need.
15. May be required to be placed on-call during a regularly
A student in good standing in an accredited School of Nursing
program having completed a minimum of medical/surgical rotation
High School diploma or equivalent.
Completion of all clinical coursework with the exception of
Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support for
Healthcare Providers (BLS-HCP) certification upon hire or obtained
within 60 days of hire with prior approval.
1+ years of previous experience in a health care setting.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements list
must be representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education,
training, licensure, experience, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Apply technical skills and experience gathering patient data and
performing patient care tasks such as weight, height, vitals,
intake/output measures and specimen collection.
* Be willing to provide personal hygiene, dressing, nutrition,
activity, elimination and other treatments.
* Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
* Regular attendance to perform work on site during regularly
scheduled business hours or scheduled shifts is required.
* Ability to work nights and/or weekends is required for identified
Ongoing need for employee to see and read information, labels,
assess patient needs, operate monitors, identify equipment and
supplies.- and -Frequent interactions with patient care providers,
patients, and visitors that require employee to verbally
communicate as well as hear and understand spoken information,
alarms, needs, and issues quickly and accurately, particularly
during emergency situations.- and -Manual dexterity of hands and
fingers to manipulate complex and delicate equipment with precision
and accuracy. This includes frequent computer use and typing for
documenting patient care, accessing needed information, medication
preparation, etc.- and -Expected to lift and utilize full range of
movement to transfer patients. Will also bend to retrieve, lift,
and carry supplies and equipment. Typically includes items of
varying weights, up to and including heavy items.- and -Need to
walk and assist with transporting/ambulating patients and obtaining
and distributing supplies and equipment. This includes
pushing/pulling gurneys and portable equipment, including heavy
items. Often required to navigate crowded and busy rooms (full of
equipment, power cords on the floor, etc).- and -May be expected to
stand in a stationary position for an extended period of time.
Anticipated job posting close date:
Good Samaritan Medical Center
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
The hourly range for this position is listed below. Actual hourly
rate dependent upon experience.
$25.00 - $25.00
We care about your well-being - mind, body, and spirit - which is
why we provide our caregivers a generous benefits package that
covers a wide range of programs to foster a sustainable culture of
wellness that encompasses living healthy, happy, secure, connected,
Learn more about our comprehensive benefits packages for our Idaho,
Nevada, and Utah based caregivers, and for our Colorado, Montana,
and Kansas based caregivers; and our commitment to diversity,
equity, and inclusion.
Intermountain Health is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran
Keywords: Good Samaritan Medical Center, Denver , Nurse Extern Position - Nurse Extern, Healthcare , Lafayette, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!