Grooming Manager - Year Round
Company: Winter Park Resort
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Please note, this position is located at Winter Park Resort in
Winter Park, CO.
WINTER PARK RESORT OVERVIEW: Who We Are:At just 67 miles away,
Winter Park is the closest major mountain destination to Denver.
Dont be fooled by our convenient location, though youll feel
remotely tucked away in our high-country corner of the Rockies.
With easy access to 765,000 acres of public land, Winter Park is
home to endless adventures and an unparalleled and unfiltered
Colorado experience. Whether you are fulfilling a lifelong dream to
work at a ski resort or you are just wanting a change of scene, we
have great jobs and an awesome experience waiting for you! Who We
Are Looking For:Winter Park Resort is a place for mountain lovers,
adventure seekers, and outdoor explorers. A place to chase new
experiences, marvel at the unexpected, and discover the adventure
that will keep you coming back for more.Whether you are looking to
have your first taste of a winter season in the Rockies or to build
a long-term career, we have something for everyone. We work to
play... Are you in? Perks & Benefits:Theres more than a free season
pass waiting for you! You dont just get a job at Winter Park, you
get an experience and a lifestyle. As a member of our team, youll
enjoy a variety of perks and benefits that are available to our
year-round and seasonal employees. Some examples include:
- Free season pass to Winter Park Season and free access to all
fifteen Alterra Resorts throughout North America.
- Discounted tickets for your friends & family
- Medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, short term & long-term
disability insurance, EAP, HSAs, FSAs for eligible employees
- 401(k) plan with generous company match for all employees
- Paid parental leave of up to 6 weeks for eligible
- Generous food & beverage and retail discounts Onsite employee
childcare based on availability, discounted equipment rentals, and
plenty of opportunities for growth, advancement & year-round
employment! Don't worry the uniforms are provided! POSITION
SUMMARY: The Grooming Manager oversees the summer and winter staff
and operates Winter Park heavy construction equipment and/or snow
grading equipment with attachments and accomplishes assigned job
requests with minimal direct supervision. This person understands
the objectives of job functions, knows the capability of equipment,
and completes assignments in a safe, efficient, and acceptable
manner. Additionally, the Grooming Manager is responsible for
assisting the Senior Manager of Slope & vehicle Maintenance in all
functions and quality control of grooming, budgeting, and summer
operations. The Grooming Manager maintains the Winter Park Resort
trail system during year-round operations of the mountain; they
oversee mountain trails, manage environmental impacts, assist in
timber management, keep up brush cutting on slopes and travel
routes, monitor groomed conditions in winter, and monitor and
mitigate conditions of summer roads and trails. Duties include
daily equipment reporting, compiling daily grooming reports
(winter), scheduling personnel to accommodate daily work
requirements; scheduling equipment as needed, and managing
day-to-day operations of Slope Maintenance in the absence of the
Senior Manager. The Grooming Manager works closely with
construction leads around the ski area to coordinate various
projects. The person in this position will assist in preparing
budgets for projects, the annual operations budget, and capital
budgets. The Grooming Manager also works very closely with the
Vehicle Maintenance Manager and the Snowmaking Manager to ensure
communication and consistent and smooth operations of the shop and
equipment at Slope. The person in this position operates equipment
as needed to fill in on special events and projects and ensures
operation within budgetary requirements. This person is responsible
to certify that all personnel is wearing appropriate personal
protective equipment (PPE) for the particular job. They carry a
radio and cell phone at all times to be accessible as a key
operation in the Mountain Operations organization. The Slope
Maintenance Supervisor will follow all Winter Park policies and
procedures, all applicable laws (federal, state, and local), and
all health and sanitation codes. Competencies and Job Requirements:
Communication: Able to communicate effectively in writing and
verbally across all levels of the organization. Able to effectively
present information to management, employees, and customers.
Organization: Demonstrate ability to proactively prioritize needs,
put first things first, and effectively manages resources and time.
Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills with the
ability to handle multiple tasks. Reasoning Ability: Able to make
independent judgments that have considerable impacts on the
organization. Able to solve practical problems and deal with a
variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited
standardization exists. Integrity - High level of interpersonal
skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations,
information, and documentation. Technology Strong working knowledge
of computers including MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access)
- Lead and manage the five Slope Maintenance Supervisors.
- Lead and/or advise Supervisors in daily meetings for projects
and planned tasks.
- Anticipate and identify new grooming projects, plans, etc.
- Oversee special events course builds.
- Oversee nightly projects to ensure the highest quality of work
- Complete annual evaluations of direct reports, and review the
quality of the Supervisors evaluation.
- Take leadership in hiring/rehiring of new/existing
- Perform all disciplinary actions including but not limited to
documentation, in-person meetings, communication with HR
- Assist Senior Manager in creating annual budgets
- Evaluate monthly budgets to ensure budget targets are being
- Schedule staff according to the weekly needs of the
- Prepare a nightly grooming schedule that supports departments
through the resort including Patrol, Lift Maintenance, Lift
Operations, F&B, Grounds, base operations, etc.
- Inform Senior Manager of scheduled jobs not completed.
- Inform mechanics of necessary repairs and/or service needed on
snowcats or other necessary equipment/machinery.
- Problem solves with Senior Manager about ideas for improving
operations and culture
- Provide leadership in the training of all slope/grooming
- Review snowcat diagnostics every week and more frequently if
- Provide feedback on snowcat diagnostics and surface
- Provides proactive feedback on how to improve operations,
grooming, or to better utilize slope assets.
- Provide clear instructions for every shift.
- Transport proper equipment with attachments to the job
- Operate snowcats to support crew and manage workload
- Operate machinery to skid, doze, dig, excavate, and grade
construction sites and mountain roads.
- Train staff to perform required work in a reasonably safe and
- Train staff to secure work site nightly in a reasonably safe
manner, i.e. holes marked, equipment keys removed.
- Make daily in-field observations to assess work quality and
- Assist with snow removal when necessary.
- Maintain accurate EAM database and support efforts.
- Maintain a friendly, congenial, and helpful attitude while
effectively dealing with the guests and other employees as well as
- Report and correct unsafe conditions regarding equipment and
area of work or elsewhere in the area.
- Encourage and oversee employee recognition efforts weekly.
- Perform other duties as directed. This job description is an
overview of the scope of responsibilities and is not intended to be
an inclusive list of job tasks and expectations. With the evolution
of this resort and position, the responsibilities of this position
may change. EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Education:
- High school diploma or GED Experience:
- 5 or more years in apprentice/journeyman program or equivalent
in the operation of equipment involved in job function and trail
- 2 or more years in a leadership role within operations
- Experience as snowmaking/skiing trail crew.
- Possess strong knowledge of Winter Park trails and ski runs for
- Flexibility with schedule and shifts.
- CDL license required (or willingness to obtain within 90 days
of hire date).
- 4 or more years in all heavy equipment machines.
- Knowledge of transporting various types of equipment and
freight. Qualifications and Skills
- Possess a valid, non-restricted motor vehicle license.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office software
- Able to work irregular hours and maintain a high level of
caution and common sense while performing duties.
- Standard first aid
- Active skier/snowboarder
- Heavy equipment mechanical knowledge
- Have reliable transportation to work. PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND
WORKING CONDITIONS: This position may be required to work evenings,
weekends, and holidays. Mountain Environment:
- The primary physical environment in which these position works
is out of doors with a high exposure level to cold,snow, wind,
rain, bugs, sun, high altitude, extreme heights, lightning,
- The degree of strenuous activity within the job is considered
to be high. Often lifting a weight of 50 pounds throughout the day
- Additional strenuous physical activity may include walking or
hiking upon uneven, challenging terrain with heavy tools or
- Exposure to Chemicals required for cleaning, de-greasing,
andpainting Ultra Violet radiation from the sun enhanced through
lack of atmospheric filtration at work altitude. Fumes are produced
in activities ranging from cleaning to painting to fabrication of
metal products. Noise generated by snowmobiles, lift equipment, and
tools may require hearing protection to be worn.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of
communicating with guests, supervisors, and other employees.
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual
functions being those of near vision and depth perception. To
perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily - reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions. OTHER DUTIES AS
ASSIGNED: This position description is an overview of the scope of
responsibilities for the role described above. With the evolution
of Winter Park Resort, the responsibilities of this position may
change as may the dates associated with many of the tasks. During
these times of change, this position requires the flexibility and
willingness to accept new responsibilities and potentially transfer
others. It will also be the responsibility of any employee of
Winter Park Resort to be a positive influence on the transformation
of the resort and its associated lines of business. WAGE: The base
hourly pay range below represents the low and high end of Winter
Park Resorts' hourly pay range for this position. Actual pay will
vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors
including but not limited to experience, education, training,
location, merit system, quantity or quality of production,
responsibilities, and regular and/or necessary travel. The range
listed is just one component of Winter Park Resorts' total
compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include many
region-specific benefits. Salary Range:$64,000-$73,000/year AN
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Winter Park Resort is an Equal
Opportunity Employer and is dedicated to the principles of equal
employment opportunity in any term, condition, or privilege of
employment. We do not discriminate against applicants or employees
based on age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin,
disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or
any other status protected by state or local law. Winter Park
Resort will make reasonable accommodations for qualified
individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in
an undue hardship to Winter Park Resort. This policy governs all
aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment,
compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and
training. This job description in no way states or implies that
these are the only duties to be performed in this position. I
understand that this document does not create an employment
contract, implied or otherwise, other than an at will
Keywords: Winter Park Resort, Denver , Grooming Manager - Year Round, Executive , Golden, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!