Vice President, Corporate Communications & Public Affairs
Company: Atara Biotherapeutics, Inc.
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Vice President, Corporate Communications & Public Affairs
The--VP, Corporate Communications & Public Affairs leads Atara's
internal and external corporate communications and helps
articulate, elevate, and steward Atara's corporate identity and
policy positions. Key responsibilities include building company
visibility and thought leadership in cell therapy, media relations,
multimedia corporate communications, company branding, internal
communications, crisis management, and public affairs and public
Reports to:--Chief Commercial Officer
Location:--California-based; South San Francisco, CA or Thousand
Oaks, CA Travel:--Travel required (up to 35%)
- Serves as the key leader for corporate communications and
public affairs for the company, working with the executive team and
a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Develops and manages the corporate communications strategy.
Translates to and executes on a plan to build visibility for and
awareness of the company with key stakeholders including investors,
employees, collaborators, potential business partners, the
healthcare community, etc.
- Protects and grows the corporate brand and reputation.
- Drives implementation of communications strategy across
multiple platforms, (social media, print, web, etc.)
- Monitors external environment for important regulatory,
legislative, and other policy issues. Helps Atara articulate and
communicate company positions on issues, either on a standalone
basis or in conjunction with others. Develops plans to build
constituent and influencer support in service of policy debates and
decision making on topics of interest to the company.
- Sets and drives press strategy. Develops relationships with key
reporters and industry publications to enable routine ongoing
information sharing to raise the profile of the company to an
appropriate level over time.
- Serves as a key spokesperson for the company.
- Serves as needed in crisis management situations
- Prepares / oversees preparation of press releases. Drives
and/or contributes to external company presentations and
annual/quarterly reports in a timely manner and ensuring
consistency of messaging as a key partner to the IR team.
- Monitors news sources for competitive information and industry
issues and trends and disseminates to stakeholders throughout
- Leads cross-functional efforts to identify and address emerging
issues of interest, including those of policy, legislation, and
regulation. Organizes Atara engagement with trade associations as
needed to advance work on the issues (e.g. ARM, BIO)
- Leads the corporate communications and public affairs team;
attracts, develops, and retains strong talents. The VP will coach
and guide a team currently sized at two staff including one Senior
Director and one more early-tenure position.
- Manages PR agency partners and plans and delivers to
- Collaborates and coordinates with other functional areas
(Medical Affairs, Commercial, Development, Regulatory, Tech Ops,
Human Resources, Finance, etc) to develop messaging that
authentically promotes Atara's brand to a range of audiences, and
is able to evolve that communication easily as business needs
- 15+ years experience in healthcare industry with focus in
corporate communications and public affairs.
- Bachelor's or higher degree in life sciences or business
combined with journalism, communications, or public relations is
required, ideally with clinical education.
- Scientific or technical experience is desirable, as
understanding and communicating Atara's science is key to the role.
Oncology, autoimmune/inflammation and/or cell therapy experience is
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skill set and aptitude
for working with the investment community.
- Experience leading teams and supporting team's performance and
- Experience writing investor presentations, scripts and press
releases as well as in developing media contacts and relationships
and agency management.
- Evidence of a collaborative approach with multiple
constituencies. Personal Qualifications:
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate
effectively with people in diverse and different settings, with a
demonstrated track record and ability to drive results.
- Proven people leader who has demonstrated ability to develop
talented staff members to their full potential.
- Flexibility of thinking that allows one to juggle multiple
priorities and change course in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to drive change and achieve results.
- Strong verbal communication and writing skills.
- Ability to present clearly using scientific and clinical
- Ability to influence and persuade at appropriate times and
serve as key participant with management team members.
- Intellectual curiosity and rigor, and well-developed program
and project management execution skills.
- Strong business acumen.
- Sound organizational skills.
- Possesses a sense of urgency; identifies challenges and
problems and takes the initiative to identify solutions.
- A goal-oriented person who both plans for the long-term and
executes for the short term.
- An innovative, data-driven person with a "can do" attitude and
willingness to do the work.
- High bar personal ethics with a "patients first" value system.
More About Atara Bio We launched--Atara Biotherapeutics--in August
2012 to help patients with serious diseases and few therapeutic
options. We are considered a leading off-the-shelf T-cell
immunotherapy company (Nasdaq--ATRA) developing novel treatments
for patients with cancer, autoimmune and viral diseases. We're
proud of our team of 425+ Atarians co-located by design in 4
different locations including South San Francisco (corporate
headquarters), Thousand Oaks (R&D and manufacturing
headquarters), Zug, Switzerland (european headquarters) and a
R&D site in the Denver, Colorado area. Our Southern California
hub is anchored by a new 90,000 sq. ft., state-of-the-art Atara
T-Cell Operations and Manufacturing (ATOM) facility.
Our mission - "Transform the lives of patients with serious medical
conditions through pioneering science, teamwork, and a commitment
to excellence." Our vision - "T-Cell Immunotherapy for every
patient, any time." Atara offers a competitive benefits packages
that includes medical/dental/vision benefits, life and disability,
retirement and stock program, as well as a generous paid time off
and wellness plan that supports the well-being of our staff. Visit
www.atarabio.com/careers to learn more.
Atara Bio is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment
decisions on the basis of merit and other lawful factors. In
accordance with applicable law, the Company prohibits
discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender
(including pregnancy, childbirth or medical condition related to
pregnancy or childbirth), gender identity, expression or dysphoria,
marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or
mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran
status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, transgender status or
any other classification protected by federal, state or local laws
or because of the individual's association with a member of a
protected group or connection to an organization or group related
to a protected group.
We comply with all applicable national, state and local laws
governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment
eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and
Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for
Atara Bio in the United States. South San Francisco, California
Thousand Oaks, California Vice President, Corporate Communications
& Public Affairs
Keywords: Atara Biotherapeutics, Inc., Denver , Vice President, Corporate Communications & Public Affairs, Executive , Denver, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!