Software Engineering Manager
Company: Particle Measuring Systems
Posted on: February 23, 2021
Software Engineering Manager - Boulder, CO
Particle Measuring Systems (PMS) sets the standard for cleanroom
contamination monitoring. With more than 60 patents, we create the
technology that enables our customers to make fact-based decisions,
improve process yields and comply with ever-changing regulatory
As the Software Engineering Manager you'll be leading a team of
highly skilled Software Development Engineers on complex designs
from the research/conceptual phase through successful product
launch, and into post-launch support. This involves leading the
planning, development, prototyping, and documentation of software
designs within the product development environment. This position
requires coordination and collaboration of activities with other
functional managers and project managers within a matrixed, stage
gate and Agile product development environment. You'll be
responsible for providing and ensuring consistent project planning,
development plans, FMEA and risk analysis, and design rigor
throughout all projects, in accordance with our ISO Quality
Management System. Key accountabilities also include establishing,
developing and maintaining the technical competencies of the
software engineering team by providing mentoring, training,
evaluation, and recruitment.
More specifically, you'll be---
- Leading and managing the software applications development team
in our Boulder office.
- Define core competencies and functional strategy in support of
overall business strategy. Plan skill evolution to meet strategic
needs & succession planning.
- Drive maximum reuse of development work, platforming, and
consistent technical and architectural direction across
- Define functional headcount requirements and assign individual
staff members to projects. Define and oversee functional
outsourcing and resource sharing arrangements to meet business
- Function well in a team environment. Gain consensus, lead,
influence, and ensure cross-discipline participation and
- Work with Project Managers and Product Line Managers to create
and maintain integrated program schedules using advanced scheduling
tools and processes such as MS Project, Gantt charts, and WBS.
- Act as technical expert within the software engineering
function, advising and coaching subordinates to resolve technical
or operational problems throughout the product lifecycle. Review
and ensure quality of all technical deliverables in functional
- Set annual and ongoing goals and objectives for group members.
Write and conduct annual appraisals for group members, actively
assessing team's needs and gaps.
- Define best-in-class functional processes, standards, and
tools. Create metrics on tracking design efforts, resources, and
effectiveness towards improving product development cycles and
- Lead functional process and tool improvement initiatives by
being early adopter of ideas. Foster creativity and innovation in
design solutions, with a sense of urgency.
- Maintain a Customer focus and participate in VoC throughout the
product lifecycle. To succeed in this role, you'll have
- BS degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or
equivalent. Strong technical foundation in software engineering
- Minimum 10 years experience as a Software Engineer designing,
developing and sustaining complex real-time systems software
- Minimum 3 years functional management or lead experience.
- Knowledge of object oriented design, development methodologies,
communication protocols, and code reviews.
- Experience developing Windows and PLC based Real-time data
acquisition applications software systems for industrial
- Experience with, and management of development tools
- Microsoft .NET/C#/C++, Dephi, Version Control, and Defect
Tracking or similar. Repository tools like SVN, Bitbucket or
similar; tracking tools like Redmine, Jira or similar; management
tool like devsuite or similar.
- Experience with, and management of the suite of Virtual
Machines used to create products, and the Secure Development
- Experience in software testing, including test scripting and
- Successful product lifecycle experience. Working knowledge of
Agile and stage/phase-gate product development process.
- Systematic approach to problem solving and issue resolution
combined with good understanding of the relevant technologies and
their practical applications.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and negotiation skills.
- Self-starter and capable of working with minimal supervision.
Ability to multi-task and provide expertise and leadership across
- Good English oral and written communication skills, especially
These additional desired skills would be a big plus
- MS Software Engineering or Computer Science.
- Familiarity with ISO, UL/CE, and other international
requirements and standards.
- Experience in regulated industries such as pharmaceutical or
medical device a plus.
- Six Sigma or DFSS experience. Knowledge of failure analysis
methodologies such as fault tree, fishbone, cause/effect, and
- Agile certified scrum master
- Ability to lead as Project Manager on special assignments &
initiatives, within and outside of Software Development
The Nuts and Bolts
Location - This is an "in-office" position 25 - 50% of the time
with Covid precautions being taken. The location of this position
is in Boulder, CO. The other 50% - 75% of the time you may work
from home. Relocation may be offered for this role, but local
candidates will receive first consideration.
2021 Benefits At-a-GlanceParticle Measuring Systems recognizes the
importance of providing a competitive and comprehensive benefits
package to our employees. With our parent company, Spectris, we
have developed a benefits package that delivers quality and value,
while satisfying the diverse needs of our workforce.
- Medical - Two PPO plan options through Anthem Blue Cross/Blue
- Dental - Two plan options through Delta Dental; PPO and
- Vision - through VSP
- Flexible Spending Account - Health Care and Dependent Care
- 401(k) - dollar-for-dollar match for the first 4%, 50 cents for
each dollar on the next 2%, Match is 100% vested on date of
- Employer Paid Benefits: Basic Life and AD&D; Onsite
Wellness Clinic - Onsite physician for basic health and wellness
consultations; Health Advocate - EAP, Wellness, and Personal Health
Pay Range$114,700 - $176,180
How we determine what we pay (compensation philosophy)Particle
Measuring Systems determines pay for positions using local,
national, and industry-specific survey data, for the Boulder,
Colorado area. We will evaluate external equity, which is the
relative marketplace job worth of jobs directly comparable to jobs
within our company.For new hires, we strive to make competitive
offers between the minimum and midpoint of our established pay
ranges. This allows the new employee room for future merit
increases during review cycles. There may be times when we will
offer above the midpoint. The decision to do so will be based on
the applicant's level of experience, education, and specialized
knowledge and skills. Additionally, we consider the external market
rate, the amount we have budgeted internally, and the compensation
rates of the employees within the company doing the same position.
An employee/candidate with a stronger skill set will receive higher
Note to external agencies: We are not accepting resumes, emails or
calls from outside agencies regarding this position currently.
To apply: please email your resume with the position title in the
subject line to: .
Particle Measuring Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity
Keywords: Particle Measuring Systems, Denver , Software Engineering Manager, Executive , Lyons, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!