Building Engineer - General Services
Company: City and County of Denver
Posted on: April 5, 2021
About Our JobPlease apply as soon as possible if you are
interested. This job application will close without further
notice.The Facilities Management Division within General Services
is currently seeking a Building Engineer to support and assist
various facilities across the City and County of Denver. In this
role, you will perform full performance level work in the daily
operation, maintenance, preventative maintenance and repair for
facilities, including utilizing automated control systems to
monitor, adjust and control various electrical and mechanical
building systems. You will also be responsible for the daily
operation of, and periodic preventative maintenance on facility's
mechanical, electrical, HVAC, and plumbing systems, including: air
handling units; domestic cool and hot water systems; heating and
chill water systems; sump and sewage systems; diesel generators;
and fire protection, pumps and detection systems.Building Engineers
are the primary technical staff for facility maintenance, emergency
maintenance, minor electrical and plumbing testing and repairs in
the facility. The ideal candidate will be proficient with Building
Automation Systems/Direct Digital Control Systems. Overall
competency with computers and associated business applications is
highly desired.There will be daily interaction with tenants ranging
from customers to employees of various Agencies across the City and
County of Denver. As such, having strong customer service and
interpersonal skills will be crucial to success for this
individual.Additionally, the Building Engineer will:
- Maintain and operate automated and mechanical environmental
control systems, which includes monitoring and programming both
master controls and local controls, calibrating and coordinating
sequencing of controls, overseeing and monitoring power supply
systems, troubleshooting and diagnosing systems errors, and making
corrections in order to maintain building and facility temperatures
and environmental conditions.
- Maintain, operate, and repair building and facility equipment
related to environmental control systems, which includes
electrical, mechanical, DDC and pneumatic components, plumbing and
sewage systems, heating and air conditioning systems, ventilation
and air handling systems, cold and hot water systems, electrical
and fuel operated generators, fire protection, security systems and
- Performs routine preventative maintenance based on operating
procedures and regularly scheduled maintenance activities of
equipment, and regularly inspects facilities, buildings, and
grounds for unsafe or malfunctioning systems and conditions.
- Assist other trades personnel in the maintenance and repair of
building and facility infrastructure and equipment, which includes
the installation and modification of equipment.
- Plans and coordinates the maintenance and installation of major
building and facility equipment repairs and related activities
within a variety of specific trades areas, which includes the
evaluation and recommendation of service upgrades.
- Respond to building and facility tenant complaints regarding
safety issues and environmental control conditions, which includes
following up on work orders, and prioritizing service calls.
- Assist in coordinating maintenance efforts with outside
contractors and technicians regarding contracted service
- Provide input to supervisors and managers responsible for
planning and controlling annual budgets. Orders parts and supplies
as required and maintains stock and inventory control.
- Operate and maintains tools and equipment common to various
- Maintain records and prepares reports, which includes
estimating materials, labor, and equipment costs.
- Adhere to and observes all common safety practices and
- Perform snow removal duties and will be required to be on-call
to address emergency needs on a rotational basis.
- Inspect buildings, grounds, and equipment for unsafe or
malfunctioning systems and conditions.
- Evaluate and recommend equipment and service upgrades.
- Assist in coordinating maintenance efforts with outside
contractors and technicians for contracted work.
- Order parts and supplies as required and maintains stock and
- Maintain records and prepares reports; and, estimates
materials, labor, and equipment costs.
- Observe all common safety practices.About YouOur ideal
candidate will have:
- The ability to service multiple facilities across the City and
County of Denver.
- Experience with interpreting written material, including
technical materials, blueprints, rules, regulations, instructions,
reports, charts, graphs, or tables; applies what is learned from
written material to specific situations.
- Experience with troubleshooting, analyzes, and identifying
systems malfunctions to determine the source and cause of the
- Professional experience in troubleshooting and repairing large
building HVAC systems in facilities exceeding 100,000 sq. ft. in
- Experience in operating Delta/Siemens building automation
- Current universal chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) License
- Knowledge of engineering concepts, principles, and practices,
and of equipment, tools, mechanical devices, and their uses to
produce motion, light, power, technology, and other
- Knowledge of principles and methods for operating industrial
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and the appropriate tools to
construct objects, structures, and buildings. Knowledge of machines
and tools, including their designs, installation, uses, repair, and
- Knowledge of developing, producing, understanding, and using
plans, blueprints, models, and maps, including the use of tools and
instruments to produce precision technical drawings.
- Knowledge of electrical equipment, components, instruments, and
burglar and fire alarm systems including installation, testing,
uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Knowledge of electronic theory, circuits, components, and
material properties (excluding computers).
- BOMI designation such as Systems Maintenance Administrator
(SMA) or Systems Maintenance Technician (SMT)
- IFMA credential such as Facilities Management Profession (FMP)
or Sustainability Facility Professional (SFP)
- LEED Credential
- IREM or BOAC designation
- Previous professional experience utilizing Automated Work Order
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office SuiteWe realize your time is
valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the
following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Graduation from high school or the possession of a
GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate.
- Experience:Three (3) years of experience in building
operations, engineering and equipment and systems maintenance
including experience with Building Automation Systems (BAS).
- Education/Experience Equivalency: Completion of College or
Technical School coursework in Building Operator Program,
Engineering Technical Training, or a professional designation in
facilities management may be substituted for one year of the
- License/Certifications: This job requires driving. Requires a
valid Driver's License at the time of application. Requires either
a valid journey certificate of qualification as required in trades
specialty issued by the City and County of Denver or a valid
journey license issued by the State of Colorado by the end of
probationary period. Licenses and certifications must be kept
current as a condition of employment.About Everything ElseJob
ProfileCJ2732 Building EngineerTo view the full job profile
including position specifications, physical demands, and
probationary period, click here .Position TypeUnlimitedPosition
Salary Range$24.19 - $35.32Starting PayBased on education and
experienceAgencyGeneral Services The City and County of Denver
provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and
applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion,
national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status
protected under federal, state, and/or local law.-- For information
about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.
Posted 2 Days Ago Full time R0032470 About Us Denver is the
nation's top place to live, work, and play, and we need the best
people working for the residents of Denver. People who want to make
a difference; people who want to give back; people who want to be
at the heart of this city and have a hand in creating our future.
Equity, diversity and inclusion are cornerstones of our--values at
the City and County of Denver. We celebrate uniqueness and strive
to be a world-class city where everyone matters. Join us! Be a part
of the city that you love.--#WhereDenverWorks For more information
about our hiring process including ADA resources, assessments and
testing, pre-employment, and onboarding, click here . For
information about employee benefits, click here .
Keywords: City and County of Denver, Denver , Building Engineer - General Services, Engineering , Denver, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!