Broadcast Engineer, KMGH
Company: The E.W. Scripps Company
Posted on: October 18, 2020
KMGH (Denver7), the Scripps ABC station in Denver, CO is seeking
a Broadcast Engineer to join the team! The Broadcast Engineer
performs preventative maintenance, emergency repairs and operations
of video, audio and radio frequency (RF) systems, including
satellite and microwave equipment.
Exciting, challenging, and technologically advanced. That
description applies equally to Denver, and the Premier TV channel,
Denver7. The technology operations department at Denver7 has many
high-profile projects running this year. Want to help us with them?
Join us and be a part of a growing and forward-thinking
organization. We are looking for an experienced engineer to help
build and maintain our new and existing broadcast, IT, and digital
systems. Come and join our winning team!
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Provide world class customer service to all business partners
internal and external to the Scripps organization with a positive
"can do" attitude.
- Support, maintain, and install the full range of broadcast,
Radio Frequency (RF), and production systems based on both Serial
Digital Interface (SDI), and Internet Protocol (IP) based
- Setup and enhance software, hardware, server, automation and
workflow systems, projects and equipment to enable our teams to be
both productive and efficient. Ensure all meet current industry
standards and comply with Company policies and
- Partner with the news department to develop, build and support
content workflow and support systems including integration and
problem-solving software, hardware, networking and infrastructure.
This will include support and integration of audio and video,
cameras, editing systems, streaming, content management and
- Use company purchasing management system to purchase and track
assets and services as well as replacement cycles. This will
include contributing to budgeting planning with the team and
Director of Engineering to support business needs.
- Drive and assist in the operation, support, and maintenance of
mobile live trucks which may involve work in confined spaces and on
top of vehicle with the use of mobile work platform. Live truck
technology may include microwave, satellite, cellular bonding, and
- Resolve complex problems not covered by existing procedures or
practices independently, often under pressure.
- Design improvements to our operation.
- Maintain logs and reports as per FCC Rules and
- Provide, enhance, and utilize proactive monitoring system to
anticipate technical issues and be able to act
- Update technical plan documentation when installations are
completed to include changes that are made.
- Document and maintain records of equipment repairs.
- Research part numbers and pricing to determine where to
purchase and the cost of repairs.
- Operate studio, news and control room equipment.
- Perform other duties as directed.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Degree in computer science, electronic engineering, or related
subject; or equivalent experience.
- Network certification required (Cisco, CompTIA
- SBE certification preferred.
- At least 3 year broadcast operations experience preferred.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING:
- Must have working knowledge of all the following areas, and
specialize in at least one of these areas:
- Broadcast and production systems support and engineering
including SDI and IP based technology and workflow.
- Extensive knowledge of computer networking, broadcast automation
and workflow systems.
- Transmitter support and engineering.
- A strong understanding and ability to work with IT/cellular
systems, servers, and devices, and actively pursue emerging
technology in these areas.
- Solid working knowledge of software for server and client
operating systems including active directory.
- Working knowledge of Computer Aided Design (CAD).
- Positive "can do" attitude and willingness to learn and grow
with the job.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver a high level of customer
- Team player.
- Effective communication skills with all level of internal and
external customers and partners.
- Ability to resolve complex problems not covered by existing
procedures or practices independently often whilst under
- Knowledge of FCC rules.
- Ability and willingness to learn complex new systems.
- Self-motivated to work independently under timeline to achieve
departmental and station goals.
- Able to comprehend schematics, mechanical drawings and
- Must have ability to prioritize tasks and work within
- Familiarity with various test instruments, alignment
apparatuses and knowledge of personal computers.
- Deep operational knowledge of studio, news and control room
- Ability to guide and coach colleagues.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including able to work
multiple days, holidays, evenings, weekends, and possible overtime
hours as needed.
- Availability to travel over multiple days is possible.
- Must be able to work in changing weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- ---Valid driver's license and good driving record required. In
addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) advances understanding of
the world through journalism. As the nation's fourth-largest
independent TV station owner, Scripps operates 60 television
stations in 42 markets. Scripps empowers the next generation of
news consumers with its multiplatform news network Newsy and
reaches growing audiences through broadcast networks including
Bounce and Court TV. Shaping the future of storytelling through
digital audio, Scripps owns top podcast company Stitcher and
Triton, the global leader in technology and measurement services.
Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in
Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps
National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for
decades to the motto, "Give light and the people will find their
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps
Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment
decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender,
color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition,
disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and
military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which
would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local
law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations
for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so
would result in undue hardship for the company.
Keywords: The E.W. Scripps Company, Denver , Broadcast Engineer, KMGH, Advertising , Denver, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!